From: The Central Scrutinizer on
Hey we completely agree! I like the shotgun analogy ;-) I guess I need to
explain
myself better. Sorry.

From: FromTheRafters on
Having a good recent image to load makes the 'flatten and rebuild'
scenario the 'easy way' as well as the 'best way'. Many places will just
remove the affected harddrive and replace it with a harddrive loaded
with a new image - saving the old drive (and any remote logs) for any
forensic investigation.

From: (PeteCresswell) on
Per David H. Lipman:
>In a corporate environment that follows a strict IA compliance it would be a complete wipe
>and re-image.
>
>However note "re-image". Something that most enterprises practice while most individuals
>do not.

As a home user I think re-imaging is highly under-rated for
people like myself.

Having had a teenager pounding on my boxes for a number of years,
I will re-image in a heartbeat - and have done it many, many
times.

Once one figures out how to keep from saving data to the system
partition, re-imaging becomes pretty much trivial: no
uncertainty, no decisions... and takes maybe 20-30 minutes,
depending on what one has installed since the last image.... as
opposed to virus removal - which I suspect would take at least
that long to research the proper removal tool/technique and still
not be 100% sure of success.
--
PeteCresswell
From: The Central Scrutinizer on
Yes your point on virus removal is 100% spot on.