From: Ray K on
I've collected a bunch of free (or almost free) programs for preventing
malware from entering a computer and detecting any already present:
AdAware, AVG, Avast, Avira, SpyBoy, Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware. I'm
sure there are lots of others that I don't know about.

Any suggestions for program combinations that will prevent most of the
bad stuff from ever getting into my computer? I'm looking for
thoroughness, compatible with each other, and minimal slowdown of
incoming material of all sorts (mainly email, photos, videos, music).
XP, SP3, OS.

(I know this kind of question often triggers flame wars, but I hope this
doesn't happen here.)

One of the things I didn't like about AVG (or was it Avast?) was that it
was daily downloading huge update files, make the computer sluggish
while the d/l was in progress. I find it hard to believe that there are
that many new threats every day. I suspect it is a marketing ploy to
exaggerated the dangers. Then again, I may just be naive, but the other
programs don't update anywhere near as often.

Thanks for your advice.

Ray
From: Bad Boy Charlie on
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 14:56:59 -0500, Ray K <raykosXXX(a)optonline.net>
wrote:

>I've collected a bunch of free (or almost free) programs for preventing
>malware from entering a computer and detecting any already present:
>AdAware, AVG, Avast, Avira, SpyBoy, Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware. I'm
>sure there are lots of others that I don't know about.
>
>Any suggestions for program combinations that will prevent most of the
>bad stuff from ever getting into my computer? I'm looking for
>thoroughness, compatible with each other, and minimal slowdown of
>incoming material of all sorts (mainly email, photos, videos, music).
>XP, SP3, OS.
>
>(I know this kind of question often triggers flame wars, but I hope this
>doesn't happen here.)
>
>One of the things I didn't like about AVG (or was it Avast?) was that it
>was daily downloading huge update files, make the computer sluggish
>while the d/l was in progress. I find it hard to believe that there are
>that many new threats every day. I suspect it is a marketing ploy to
>exaggerated the dangers. Then again, I may just be naive, but the other
>programs don't update anywhere near as often.
>
>Thanks for your advice.
>
>Ray

While not FREE I wanted to make mention (concerning your remark about
Avast large-sized daily updates) that Norton 2010 AV and NIS utilize
"Pulse Update" technology and it works as you might think from the name
used. On my NIS 2010 installation I get these pulse updates every few
minutes which take a couple seconds at most each update to keep one's
Norton security product fully updated. I like that approach very much.
Not only is it resource conservative but unlike those AV products that
do scheduled 'daily updates' you are not left vulnerable to new threats
waiting for tomorrow's 'daily update'
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Ray K" <raykosXXX(a)optonline.net>

| I've collected a bunch of free (or almost free) programs for preventing
| malware from entering a computer and detecting any already present:
| AdAware, AVG, Avast, Avira, SpyBoy, Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware. I'm
| sure there are lots of others that I don't know about.

| Any suggestions for program combinations that will prevent most of the
| bad stuff from ever getting into my computer? I'm looking for
| thoroughness, compatible with each other, and minimal slowdown of
| incoming material of all sorts (mainly email, photos, videos, music).
| XP, SP3, OS.

| (I know this kind of question often triggers flame wars, but I hope this
| doesn't happen here.)

| One of the things I didn't like about AVG (or was it Avast?) was that it
| was daily downloading huge update files, make the computer sluggish
| while the d/l was in progress. I find it hard to believe that there are
| that many new threats every day. I suspect it is a marketing ploy to
| exaggerated the dangers. Then again, I may just be naive, but the other
| programs don't update anywhere near as often.

| Thanks for your advice.

| Ray

All the software in the world will NOT protect you if you do bot follow Safe Hex
practices.

That's what you need to learn.

--
Dave

From: Bad Boy Charlie on
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 15:26:43 -0500, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>From: "Ray K" <raykosXXX(a)optonline.net>
>
>| I've collected a bunch of free (or almost free) programs for preventing
>| malware from entering a computer and detecting any already present:
>| AdAware, AVG, Avast, Avira, SpyBoy, Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware. I'm
>| sure there are lots of others that I don't know about.
>
>| Any suggestions for program combinations that will prevent most of the
>| bad stuff from ever getting into my computer? I'm looking for
>| thoroughness, compatible with each other, and minimal slowdown of
>| incoming material of all sorts (mainly email, photos, videos, music).
>| XP, SP3, OS.
>
>| (I know this kind of question often triggers flame wars, but I hope this
>| doesn't happen here.)
>
>| One of the things I didn't like about AVG (or was it Avast?) was that it
>| was daily downloading huge update files, make the computer sluggish
>| while the d/l was in progress. I find it hard to believe that there are
>| that many new threats every day. I suspect it is a marketing ploy to
>| exaggerated the dangers. Then again, I may just be naive, but the other
>| programs don't update anywhere near as often.
>
>| Thanks for your advice.
>
>| Ray
>
>All the software in the world will NOT protect you if you do bot follow Safe Hex
>practices.
>
>That's what you need to learn.

That's a true story..the best 'Security Suite' is between your ears.
From: FromTheRafters on
"Ray K" <raykosXXX(a)optonline.net> wrote in message
> I've collected a bunch of free (or almost free) programs for
> preventing malware from entering a computer

Snort, on a dedicated firewall?

> and detecting any already present:

It kinda has to 'be there' to be detected, no?

> AdAware, AVG, Avast, Avira, SpyBoy, Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware.
> I'm sure there are lots of others that I don't know about.

All of those require the malware to be 'on the computer'.

> Any suggestions for program combinations that will prevent most of the
> bad stuff from ever getting into my computer? I'm looking for
> thoroughness, compatible with each other, and minimal slowdown of
> incoming material of all sorts (mainly email, photos, videos, music).
> XP, SP3, OS.

A dedicated firewall appliance running with your choice of tools.

Otherwise, you will have to analyse "on your machine" what was accepted.

> (I know this kind of question often triggers flame wars, but I hope
> this doesn't happen here.)

Bring it on, troublemaker! :o)

> One of the things I didn't like about AVG (or was it Avast?) was that
> it was daily downloading huge update files, make the computer sluggish
> while the d/l was in progress. I find it hard to believe that there
> are that many new threats every day. I suspect it is a marketing ploy
> to exaggerated the dangers. Then again, I may just be naive, but the
> other programs don't update anywhere near as often.

All you've told us so far is that you want lots of protection running
but don't want the rest of the running programs to appear slower. Well,
that just isn't going to happen unless you take my suggestion about a
dedicated device.

I'm running Avira's AntiVir (free version) on my XP machine and Alwil's
Avast! (free version) on my Vista machine. I use Malwarebytes'
Anti-Malware (free) on my XP machine because that's the one I take the
most chances with - but some people like to have an antimalware with
active protection too (both SuperAntiSpyware and MBAM have paid versions
that have active protection IIRC).

More and more, scanners are going 'wide spectrum' and start to interfere
with one another. Your paid versions of AV have added value such as
anti-spyware modules and privacy nannies, they may interfere with your
chosen AS or privacy enhancing software.