From: Virus Guy on
"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> | How does one practice safe hex against DNS poisoning or server
> | farm hijacking?
>
> Safe Hex is as important then as it is now.

You didn't answer the question.
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Virus Guy" <Virus(a)Guy.com>

| "David H. Lipman" wrote:

>> | How does one practice safe hex against DNS poisoning or server
>> | farm hijacking?

>> Safe Hex is as important then as it is now.

| You didn't answer the question.

It doesn't have to be and you snipped the qualifying statement erroneously!

--
Dave

From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
Virus Guy wrote:

> "David H. Lipman" wrote:
>> [Virus Guy wrote:]
>>| [reinstated:] Safe Hex was a quaint concept 5 - 10 years ago. It's
>>| irrelevant today.

>>| How does one practice safe hex against DNS poisoning or server
>>| farm hijacking?
>>
>> Safe Hex is as important then as it is now.
>
> You didn't answer the question.

He was addressing and discussing your incorrect statement about Safe Hex
being irrelevant. Practicing Safe Hex with one's own PC (keeping it
infection-free) is just as, if not more so, important now as it was.

Leave the server hijacking to their administrators.

--
-bts
From: Virus Guy on
"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:

> >> Safe Hex is as important then as it is now.
> >
> > You didn't answer the question.
>
> He was addressing and discussing your incorrect statement about
> Safe Hex being irrelevant. Practicing Safe Hex with one's own
> PC (keeping it infection-free) is just as, if not more so,
> important now as it was.

Those are two different concepts.

Your computer (the OS and it's ability to patch itself, various system
and program settings, active and passive malware counter measures) does
or will function autonomously to keep itself free of malware. The
extent of which depends variably on the user but for which Microsoft
(with each new version of windoze) is taking that role away from the
user.

Safe Hex is the quaint idea that the user can (or should) constantly
evaluate the useage of his computer (the websites he visits, the e-mail
attachments that he launches, the software he agrees to or wants to
download and run, etc).

My point was that Safe Hex can't apply to situations such as DNS
poisoning, server hijacking, and possibly other forms of system exposure
to malware. You can be a strict observer of safe hex and still succumb
to malware installation via those routes.

On a tangent, I might even go so far as to say that anyone that doesn't,
can't, or won't properly evaluate malware risks (ie - if they don't
practice "safe hex") probably has nothing to lose (or it is of little or
no consequence to them) if their machine becomes infected.

Safe hex was coined during the time when PC's were a little more scarce
and expensive than they are now - expecially in the home or SOHO.
Meaning that any given computer back then was being put to more
important usage compared to today.

This was before the botnet phenomena emerged - a time when there was
more malware in circulation that could cripple a system or it's files
(sometimes intentionally - sometimes not). The emergence of the botnet
meant that it was more important to NOT dammage or harm the
functionality of the infected machine, because the machine was now more
valuable if it kept functioning.
From: PajaP on
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 22:16:48 -0500, Virus Guy <Virus(a)Guy.com> wrote:

>"David H. Lipman" wrote:
>
>> All the software in the world will NOT protect you if you do bot
>> follow Safe Hex practices.
>
>Safe Hex was a quaint concept 5 - 10 years ago. It's irrelevant today.
>
>How does one practice safe hex against DNS poisoning or server-farm
>hijacking?

Healthy living was a quaint concept 5 - 10 years ago. Its irrelevant
today.

How does one live healthily against murder, being run over or terrorism
attacks?

Yes, My statements are as stupid as yours (though mine are intentional).
I will continue to practice safe hex and be sure to exercise and eat my
greens!