From: PajaP on
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 14:56:59 -0500, Ray K <raykosXXX(a)optonline.net>
wrote:

>I've collected a bunch of free (or almost free) programs for preventing
>malware from entering a computer and detecting any already present:
>AdAware, AVG, Avast, Avira, SpyBoy, Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware. I'm
>sure there are lots of others that I don't know about.
>
>Any suggestions for program combinations that will prevent most of the
>bad stuff from ever getting into my computer?

All you need is Microsoft Security Essentials and the Windows firewall.
The usual safe hex rules apply and keeping your computer OS and *all*
software up to date with any security updates and patches.
Microsoft can be trusted to protect their OS, despite what a few
individuals might think.

>(I know this kind of question often triggers flame wars, but I hope this
>doesn't happen here.)

Why would it. We call it discussion here ;)
From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
PajaP wrote:

> All you need is Microsoft Security Essentials and the Windows firewall.
> The usual safe hex rules apply and keeping your computer OS and *all*
> software up to date with any security updates and patches. Microsoft can
> be trusted to protect their OS, despite what a few individuals might
> think.

You work for Microsoft, don't you? <lol>

--
-bts

From: Paul_Jones on
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 09:42:33 -0500, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<a.nony.mous(a)example.invalid> wrote:

>PajaP wrote:
>
>> All you need is Microsoft Security Essentials and the Windows firewall.
>> The usual safe hex rules apply and keeping your computer OS and *all*
>> software up to date with any security updates and patches. Microsoft can
>> be trusted to protect their OS, despite what a few individuals might
>> think.
>
>You work for Microsoft, don't you? <lol>

No, just a realist ;)
From: Virus Guy on
"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> All the software in the world will NOT protect you if you do bot
> follow Safe Hex practices.

Safe Hex was a quaint concept 5 - 10 years ago. It's irrelevant today.

How does one practice safe hex against DNS poisoning or server-farm
hijacking?
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Virus Guy" <Virus(a)Guy.com>

| "David H. Lipman" wrote:

>> All the software in the world will NOT protect you if you do bot
>> follow Safe Hex practices.

| Safe Hex was a quaint concept 5 - 10 years ago. It's irrelevant today.

| How does one practice safe hex against DNS poisoning or server-farm
| hijacking?

Safe Hex is as important then as it is now. There may be MORE threats Today but there are
still the vast majority of common threats that haven't changed.

--
Dave