From: The Central Scrutinizer on
"Larry Sabo" <larry_sabo(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Smiles <smile_inspector(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I scan c daily and my files on g. The rest weekly exept my backups on i
>>which I do monthly
>
> I am of the opinion that scanning is a waste of time, other than to
> reassure oneself that the system is clean, as far as the AV/AM program
> knows at the moment. If malware is on the system but not running, it
> does no harm. As soon as it runs or is accessed in any way, it will be

Well true. But it is a time bomb. It is like a package of bad stuff on your
front porch. You do not want to leave it there indefinitely. You want to
put it in the garbage. Otherwise there is always the risk it will get in
your
house and open up. Then you are hosed.

> delt with the same as if it had been found during a scan. I'd be
> interested to know if this logic is faulty or dangerous.

If definitions exist to deal with the virus/malware you should be OK.

From: Dustin Cook on
"The Central Scrutinizer" <gcisko(a)hotmail.com> wrote in

> "Larry Sabo" <larry_sabo(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Smiles <smile_inspector(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I scan c daily and my files on g. The rest weekly exept my backups on
>>>i which I do monthly
>>
>> I am of the opinion that scanning is a waste of time, other than to
>> reassure oneself that the system is clean, as far as the AV/AM
>> program knows at the moment. If malware is on the system but not
>> running, it does no harm. As soon as it runs or is accessed in any
>> way, it will be
>
> Well true. But it is a time bomb. It is like a package of bad stuff on
> your front porch. You do not want to leave it there indefinitely. You
> want to put it in the garbage. Otherwise there is always the risk it
> will get in your
> house and open up. Then you are hosed.
>
>> delt with the same as if it had been found during a scan. I'd be
>> interested to know if this logic is faulty or dangerous.
>
> If definitions exist to deal with the virus/malware you should be OK.

Depends. The definitions may support the detection of the virus, but
offer no antidote. Most malware OTH are glorified trojans so deleting
them and reversing any unwanted changes they made in the registry will
usually remove them without unwanted sideffects. The same cannot be said
for an actual virus.

--
"Hrrngh! Someday I'm going to hurl this...er...roll this...hrrngh..
nudge this boulder right down a cliff." - Goblin Warrior

From: Dustin Cook on
Ray K <raykosXXX(a)optonline.net> wrote in news:4b8152b3$0$4992
$607ed4bc(a)cv.net:

> My computer consists of two physical drives. The master is partitioned
> as C, E, F, H and I, and the slave as D and G. Is it necessary to scan
> all the partitions, rather than just C? In other words, even if there
> are viruses etc. in one of the non-C partitions, can they launch and
> cause problems?

If your not running a resident AV monitor, then scanning all drives on a
weekly basis isn't a bad idea. Time consuming, yes, but not a bad idea. In
other words, just because something nasty isn't stored on drive C: doesn't
mean it won't wind up there if it's accidently executed on the other drive.

From: Dustin Cook on
Char Jackson <none(a)none.invalid> wrote in

> On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 11:46:52 -0600, Bad Boy Charlie
> <Legba(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I used to do as you have asked about and then many years ago I got hit
>>with the Spanska4250 virus. After a few heart-pounding hours I cleared
>>it but -now- no partition or folder goes un scanned and no file type
>>goes un scanned either. As I asked earlier - what is there to GAIN by
>>short-cutting security measures? Nada!!!
>
> I don't disagree, but to me the amazing part is that you remember the
> exact name of the virus this many years later.

If the virus did it's job (which is to leave an impression) then I see no
reason why someone would forget the name of the one that got him or her.

From: The Central Scrutinizer on
In general, if the virus or malware compromises the system areas, it is a
wipe
and reinstall. I do not care what you experts say. You cannot be 100%
certain
you know everything the virus did via the compromise.