From: First on
On Sep 3, 8:15 pm, "Greg Neill" <gneil...(a)MOVEsympatico.ca> wrote:
> First wrote:

> >> Consider a spherical nurse...
>
> > Spherical nurse ??? sounds like a good joke.
> > On a serious note it's hard to believe that two objects on earth can
> > have tidal force on each other... A spherical nurse may have tidal
> > force if she is above earth gravity... check me if I am wrong...
>
> Gravitational forces are additive, each source imposing
> its own influence separately and cumulative.  Thus,
> each and every bit of matter impresses its own (miniscule)
> tidal acceleration on every volume of space and thus a
> tidal force on every extended body therein.
>
> So there is no reason why "A spherical nurse may have tidal
> force [only] if she is above earth gravity".  Note that the
> tidal forces engendered by any given source upon a body
> always act in a direction that is along the line joining the
> source and the body in question.  Add up all the separate
> tidal forces acting to arrive at a net force.
>
> Note also that tidal forces can be so small as to be
> essentially undetectable, and that tidal forces on small
> bodies (such as a person) are utterly swamped by the
> electromagnetic forces that hold them together (atomic
> bonds, etc.).

Thank you so very much for this detailed explanation. Is there a real
example on earth where we can actually see the tidal force between two
bodies OR can it be demonstrated in a lab ?
From: N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc) on
Dear First:

"First" <watchitbut(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Thank you so very much for this detailed
> explanation. Is there a real example on earth
> where we can actually see the tidal force
> between two bodies OR can it be demonstrated
> in a lab ?

Measurements of G are performed quite often by two small bodies
interacting in a lab. Additonally, there was some laser
experiments that were affected by the level of the river nearby
the lab (I don't recall what they were looking for with the
lasers, but it was not gravity effects). Finally, there are a
number of instruments that rely on local mass-density variations,
so this is an instrument that interacts with small areas of
Earth's crust.

David A. Smith

From: First on
On Sep 4, 8:16 am, "N:dlzc D:aol T:com \(dlzc\)" <dl...(a)cox.net>
wrote:
> Dear First:
>
> "First" <watchit...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Thank you so very much for this detailed
> > explanation. Is there a real example on earth
> > where we can actually see the tidal force
> > between two bodies OR can it be demonstrated
> > in a lab ?
>
> Measurements of G are performed quite often by two small bodies
> interacting in a lab.  Additonally, there was some laser
> experiments that were affected by the level of the river nearby
> the lab (I don't recall what they were looking for with the
> lasers, but it was not gravity effects).  Finally, there are a
> number of instruments that rely on local mass-density variations,
> so this is an instrument that interacts with small areas of
> Earth's crust.
>
> David A. Smith

Thanks David, can you suggest any book on this to study further ?
From: dlzc on
Dear First:

On Sep 4, 12:24 am, First <watchit...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 4, 8:16 am, "N:dlzcD:aol T:com \(dlzc\)" <dl...(a)cox.net>
> wrote:
> > "First" <watchit...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > Thank you so very much for this detailed
> > > explanation. Is there a real example on earth
> > > where we can actually see the tidal force
> > > between two bodies OR can it be demonstrated
> > > in a lab ?
>
> > Measurements of G are performed quite often
> > by two small bodies interacting in a lab.
> > Additonally, there was some laser experiments
> > that were affected by the level of the river
> > nearby the lab (I don't recall what they
> > were looking for with the lasers, but it was
> > not gravity effects).  Finally, there are a
> > number of instruments that rely on local
> > mass-density variations, so this is an
> > instrument that interacts with small areas of
> > Earth's crust.
>
> Thanks David, can you suggest any book on
> this to study further ?

The problem is, this is Newtonian gravity simple. *No* one expected
two small bodies *not* to attract each other. I don't see that
anything but a basic physics book is required.

There is even this:
http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/3525
.... which is likely just diffraction effects, but neutrons affected by
gravity...

David A. Smith
From: wertos on
On Sep 4, 9:24 am, First <watchit...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 4, 8:16 am, "N:dlzc D:aol T:com \(dlzc\)" <dl...(a)cox.net>
> wrote:
>

> > Dear First:
>
> > "First" <watchit...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > Thank you so very much for this detailed
> > > explanation. Is there a real example on earth
> > > where we can actually see the tidal force
> > > between two bodies OR can it be demonstrated
> > > in a lab ?
>
> > Measurements of G are performed quite often by two small bodies
> > interacting in a lab. Additonally, there was some laser
> > experiments that were affected by the level of the river nearby
> > the lab (I don't recall what they were looking for with the
> > lasers, but it was not gravity effects). Finally, there are a
> > number of instruments that rely on local mass-density variations,
> > so this is an instrument that interacts with small areas of
> > Earth's crust.
>
> > David A. Smith
>
> Thanks David, can you suggest any book on this to study further ?

what book !
there is no more than that, you need a book !!??

these people are crazy, who would event think
sucha thing could happen this place, he need
a book!