From: Bella Jones on
This was discussed here recently I think - does TM need its own volume,
or can it just exist as a folder/file with other folders/files in one
volume?

--
bellajonez at yahoo dot co dot uk
From: Ian McCall on
On 2008-12-21 21:26:44 +0000, me9(a)privacy.net (Bella Jones) said:

> This was discussed here recently I think - does TM need its own volume,
> or can it just exist as a folder/file with other folders/files in one
> volume?

A normal plug-in one needs its own partition. The network version
creates a sparse bundle, i.e. can live on its own. To slightly
complicate things, if you start a network one going and then directly
plug the drive in, it still uses the sparse bundle i.e. can share a
partition with other files.

Cheers,
Ian

From: Bella Jones on
Ian McCall <ian(a)eruvia.org> wrote:

> On 2008-12-21 21:26:44 +0000, me9(a)privacy.net (Bella Jones) said:
>
> > This was discussed here recently I think - does TM need its own volume,
> > or can it just exist as a folder/file with other folders/files in one
> > volume?
>
> A normal plug-in one needs its own partition. The network version
> creates a sparse bundle, i.e. can live on its own. To slightly
> complicate things, if you start a network one going and then directly
> plug the drive in, it still uses the sparse bundle i.e. can share a
> partition with other files.

Ooh a bit confused - what is a plug in one?

I just have TM going and have pointed it at an external volume that is
always plugged in, in a daisy chain.

I'm trying to enlarge its space because the partition i had previously
given it is now full, and it keeps telling me it's going to start
deleting the oldest files.

I've now deleted the other volume and TM is now living in one big one.

Not a huge deal as i have so much spare HD space now, ahem, but it just
all needs streamlining.

--
bellajonez at yahoo dot co dot uk
From: Ian McCall on
On 2008-12-21 21:45:47 +0000, me9(a)privacy.net (Bella Jones) said:

> Ian McCall <ian(a)eruvia.org> wrote:
>
>> On 2008-12-21 21:26:44 +0000, me9(a)privacy.net (Bella Jones) said:
>>
>>> This was discussed here recently I think - does TM need its own volume,
>>> or can it just exist as a folder/file with other folders/files in one
>>> volume?
>>
>> A normal plug-in one needs its own partition. The network version
>> creates a sparse bundle, i.e. can live on its own. To slightly
>> complicate things, if you start a network one going and then directly
>> plug the drive in, it still uses the sparse bundle i.e. can share a
>> partition with other files.
>
> Ooh a bit confused - what is a plug in one?
>
> I just have TM going and have pointed it at an external volume that is
> always plugged in, in a daisy chain.

In that case, you're on the 'normal' one and it needs its own.

Cheers,
Ian

From: Bella Jones on
Ian McCall <ian(a)eruvia.org> wrote:

> On 2008-12-21 21:45:47 +0000, me9(a)privacy.net (Bella Jones) said:
>
> > Ian McCall <ian(a)eruvia.org> wrote:

> >> A normal plug-in one needs its own partition. The network version
> >> creates a sparse bundle, i.e. can live on its own. To slightly
> >> complicate things, if you start a network one going and then directly
> >> plug the drive in, it still uses the sparse bundle i.e. can share a
> >> partition with other files.
> >
> > Ooh a bit confused - what is a plug in one?
> >
> > I just have TM going and have pointed it at an external volume that is
> > always plugged in, in a daisy chain.
>
> In that case, you're on the 'normal' one and it needs its own.

Ah ok thanks - I've clicked 'apply' and it's going to get an entire
drive to itself!

--
bellajonez at yahoo dot co dot uk