From: Dale McLerran on
--- SR <learnsassam(a)YAHOO.COM> wrote:

> I want to analyze longitudinal data in which the predictor is
> measured at
> time T and response is measured at time T+1. I have the predictors
> measured longitudinally at unevenly spaced time points and have one
> year
> lag between predictor and response. Sample size is close to 300.
>
> The study design is like this.
> At years 3, 6, 8, 9 I have the predictors measured along with other
> covariates. At years 4,7,9,10 I have the response measured along with
> covariates(covariates are measured every year: 3,4,6,7,8,9,10). Both
> predictor and response are continuous.
>
> I am looking for time-lag models for such longitudinal data that SAS
> can
> handle. Does anybody know of such models ?
>
> Thanks in Advance.
>
> SR

SR,

If this post is in response to David Cassell's reply, then I think
you are really just repeating yourself. What distinguishes the
predictor variable that is measured at time T from any other sort
of predictor variable other than that you have stated that the
predictor at time T is not measured contemporaneously with the
response?

Really, it seems from here that you have a response variable which
is measured at four time points for each subject. You also have a
predictor measured one year prior to each of your response measures
along with some covariates which are measured at predictor and
response variable collection times. (How do you expect to use
covariates from each time frame?) For the mean model, it really
does not matter a hill of beans whether the predictor variable is
measured at the same time as the response or a year prior to the
response. What matters is the residual covariance structure which
arises when you fit the mean model.

You have stated that the time frame is consistent across all
subjects (every subject has response measured in years 4, 7, 9,
and 10). Because the response is measured over a consistent grid,
the residual covariance structure should be identical across all
of your subjects. Note, though, that we might expect that the
covariance structure could depend on the distance between
measurement periods.

Since the residual covariance structure can (and must) be assumed
identical for all subjects, then an UNstructured covariance
structure (using the terminology of the MIXED procedure) is
certainly not a wrong residual covariance structure. The
unstructured covariance would require estimation of 10 parameters
in the residual covariance matrix. You might have a more efficient
model if you were to fit a spatial-type covariance structure where
you assume that the residual variance at each of your four measurement
periods is identical and the covariance between the residual at two
different time points depends only on the length time between those
two observations.

Just to be really concrete, below is a code skeleton for fitting
an unstructured covariance structure as well as one type of spatial
covariance model.

/* Unstructured residual covariance model */
proc mixed data=mydata;
class subj_ID <categorical covariates>;
model response = predictor <covariates> / s;
repeated time / subject=subj_ID type=UN;
run;

/* Spatial covariance structure for residuals */
proc mixed data=mydata;
class subj_ID <categorical covariates>;
model response = predictor <covariates> / s;
repeated / subject=subj_ID type=sp(pow)(time);
run;

Dale

---------------------------------------
Dale McLerran
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
mailto: dmclerra(a)NO_SPAMfhcrc.org
Ph: (206) 667-2926
Fax: (206) 667-5977
---------------------------------------

Be a PS3 game guru.
From: SR on
Thank you, Dale. That helps. To answer your questions: I want to adjust for
the covariates that are measured at time T (at which the Predictor of
interest is also measured) in order to say that any significant effect of
the predictor found can have a causal interpretation. In this regard, I
imagine I should use time-dependent covariates. Am I right? Does PROC MIXED
handle time-dependent covariates(both categorical and continuous)?

Thanks again.

SR.
From: Dale McLerran on
--- SR <learnsassam(a)YAHOO.COM> wrote:

> Thank you, Dale. That helps. To answer your questions: I want to
> adjust for
> the covariates that are measured at time T (at which the Predictor of
> interest is also measured) in order to say that any significant
> effect of
> the predictor found can have a causal interpretation. In this regard,
> imagine I should use time-dependent covariates. Am I right? Does PROC
> MIXED
> handle time-dependent covariates(both categorical and continuous)?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> SR.

SR,

Yes, the MIXED procedure easily deals with time-dependent covariates.
You need to appropriately structure your data with four observations
per subject, with each observation being the response and predictor
set at each of your four measurement periods as shown below:

subj_ID time response pred x1 x2 ...
1 4 18 16 2 3 ...
1 7 13 12 3 5 ...
1 9 14 10 3 4 ...
1 10 12 9 4 3 ...
2 4 ...
2 7 ...
2 9 ...
2 10 ...

Given this structure for your data, you can fit either of the
models which I specified previously. You will observe that the
predictor variables are indeed different at each of the four
measurement periods. The MIXED procedure uses the row-specific
values to predict the row-specific response. The first column
which specifies a subject ID value is used to determine which
observations are correlated because they are from the same
respondent. The REPEATED statement in my previous response
specifies exactly how to model the within-subject covariance
structure.

Dale