From: Tom Shelton on
Jim Mack pretended :
> Tom Shelton wrote:
>>
>> You can use SetTimer/KillTimer has has already been suggested - but
>> you still need a message loop. Because of that you will probably
>> want to wrap it in an object that is on a background thread.
>
> That's the point of TimerProc callbacks -- everything operates on the
> main thread and message loop. Can you demonstrate otherwise?

I wasn't claiming otherwise... I was simply thinking he might want the
the timer loop to be on a different thread. Maybe not.

--
Tom Shelton

From: Henning on

"Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton(a)comcast.invalid> skrev i meddelandet
> Jim Mack pretended :
>> Tom Shelton wrote:
>>>
>>> You can use SetTimer/KillTimer has has already been suggested - but
>>> you still need a message loop. Because of that you will probably
>>> want to wrap it in an object that is on a background thread.
>>
>> That's the point of TimerProc callbacks -- everything operates on the
>> main thread and message loop. Can you demonstrate otherwise?
>
> I wasn't claiming otherwise... I was simply thinking he might want the
> the timer loop to be on a different thread. Maybe not.
>
> --
> Tom Shelton

I tried the invisible Form with MSComm and two Timers on it. I still can not
check the Unattended Execution, wich is recommended for running as a
Service. :( Seems like even an empty Form will block that.

/Henning

From: GS on
Henning laid this down on his screen :
> "Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton(a)comcast.invalid> skrev i meddelandet
>> Jim Mack pretended :

>>> That's the point of TimerProc callbacks -- everything operates on the
>>> main thread and message loop. Can you demonstrate otherwise?
>>
>> I wasn't claiming otherwise... I was simply thinking he might want the the
>> timer loop to be on a different thread. Maybe not.
>>
>> -- Tom Shelton
>>

> I tried the invisible Form with MSComm and two Timers on it. I still can not
> check the Unattended Execution, wich is recommended for running as a Service.
> :( Seems like even an empty Form will block that.
>
> /Henning

Not claiming to know much about creating a service but my understanding
is this should be done with an ActiveX.exe rather than a standard.exe
as you're trying to use. I'm interested to see how you make out.

--
Garry

From: Tom Shelton on
Henning wrote on 5/31/2010 :
> "Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton(a)comcast.invalid> skrev i meddelandet
>> Jim Mack pretended :

>>> That's the point of TimerProc callbacks -- everything operates on the
>>> main thread and message loop. Can you demonstrate otherwise?
>>
>> I wasn't claiming otherwise... I was simply thinking he might want the the
>> timer loop to be on a different thread. Maybe not.
>>
>> -- Tom Shelton
>>

> I tried the invisible Form with MSComm and two Timers on it. I still can not
> check the Unattended Execution, wich is recommended for running as a Service.
> :( Seems like even an empty Form will block that.
>
> /Henning

While I have written serveral windows services, I have never done so
using VB.CLASSIC because it never seemed ideal to do so. All my
services have been in C++ or a .NET language.

That said, since there is almost a mandatory requirement to create at
least one thread in a service app, I assumed that your application
would be an ActiveX exe rather then a standard windows executable....
It's been a while, but isn't that option only available to ActiveX
exe's?

--
Tom Shelton

From: Schmidt on

"Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton(a)comcast.invalid> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> That said, since there is almost a mandatory requirement
> to create at least one thread in a service app,
That's what e.g. NTSvc.ocx does under the hood - the
communication-thread for the Service-Manager runs
"within" that OCX, visible in the MainThread of the
normal VB-App are only the thrown Events of this OCX.

> It's been a while, but isn't that option only available to
> ActiveX exe's?
No - you can deal with such threads (as the one
required for ServiceManager-interaction) also
per Typelib-approach directly in VB5/6 - and
that's what Sergeys example does for the few
required Messages, which come in from that
"communication-thread".

Somewhat sad BTW, that you don't even try -
to stay true to your own words (posted only a
few days ago) - to not pester the group with
".NET-suggestions" anymore.

Olaf