From: Javier Vasquez on
On 8/5/10, Sven Joachim <svenjoac(a)gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2010-08-05 19:26 +0200, Anthony Campbell wrote:
>
>> On 05 Aug 2010, Thomas H. George wrote:
>>> >
>>> I followed these instructions chosing the Terminus font and a character
>>> height of 32 and then rebooted. The boot screen and initial scripts
>>> were easy to read, actually larger than I need BUT
>>>
>>> About half way through the boot up the scripts changed back to the tiny
>>> fonts. There was a line saying consolechars can only load fonts with a
>>> height of 16, try installing setfont. Apt-get search found setfont in
>>> kbd-compat but apt-get install reported that the latest version of
>>> kbd-compat was already installed.
>>>
>>> What now?
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>

>> Isn't this the KMS issue? I solved it by editing
>> /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf, as suggested by
>> /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-radeon.
>
> This is not a solution but rather a workaround that may stop working at
> some time in the future when xserver-xorg-video-radeon starts to
> _require_ KMS. Beside, it already won't work for Nvidia cards if you
> want to use the Nouveau X driver. So far, Thomas has not told anything
> about his graphics card.
>
>> The change to tiny font half-way through booting was exactly the symptom
>> I had before doing the above.
>
> The solution is to use a bigger font, as I had tried to explain.
>
> Sven

That's right. Actually I always look for full resolution on console.
Before KMS, for some cards I had to load the corresponding module
through /etc/modules and for some of those, I also had to provide the
resolution parameters through /etc/modprobe.d/<card_module>.conf. KMS
seems to always look for full resolution, so I've removed the stuff
from modules and modprobe.conf. Notice some times uvesafb was the
only alternative to get required resolution, :-)

When you have bigger resolution on console, you need bigger fonts.
The recommendation Sven provided is the correct one (dpkg-reconfigure
console-setup). However console-tools doesn't handle some fonts sizes
for some particular fonts, and thus, the solution is just to use
original kbd instead (which seems to support more fonts sizes). This
has been required even before KMS showed up, unless you didn't care
about getting full/bigger resolution on console...

As an additional suggestion, I recommend using console-terminus (if
you want you can also try xfonts-terminus), so you select it as well
when running dpkg-reconfigure console-setup, :-)

--
Javier.

On 8/5/10, Jordon Bedwell <jordon(a)envygeeks.com> wrote:
> On 8/5/2010 12:54 PM, Sven Joachim wrote:
>> The solution is to use a bigger font, as I had tried to explain.
>
> Yes, that was your solution, until he explained (which you merrily
> missed apparently) that even though he used your "fix" the font resets
> back to a small size a little ways into the boot.

It's not that you got small fonts back. It's that console-tools
doesn't support the combination of font and size you selected. A
message is prompted out of dpkg-reconfigure when that happens usually.
So using kbd instead of console-tools, and then running
dpkg-reconfigure agian, usually takes care of that problem.

--
Javier.

On 2010-08-05 20:08 +0200, Javier Vasquez wrote:

> That's right. Actually I always look for full resolution on console.
> Before KMS, for some cards I had to load the corresponding module
> through /etc/modules and for some of those, I also had to provide the
> resolution parameters through /etc/modprobe.d/<card_module>.conf. KMS
> seems to always look for full resolution, so I've removed the stuff
> from modules and modprobe.conf. Notice some times uvesafb was the
> only alternative to get required resolution, :-)

I remember the times when I fiddled around with uvesafb on my laptop
which has i915 graphics. "Of course" the crappy BIOS does not even
support the native resolution of the display, so I had to "fix" that
with 915resolution first. I even wrote custom scripts that did this
from the initramfs to reduce the number of video mode changes. KMS was
a big relief for me.

> When you have bigger resolution on console, you need bigger fonts.
> The recommendation Sven provided is the correct one (dpkg-reconfigure
> console-setup). However console-tools doesn't handle some fonts sizes
> for some particular fonts, and thus, the solution is just to use
> original kbd instead (which seems to support more fonts sizes). This
> has been required even before KMS showed up, unless you didn't care
> about getting full/bigger resolution on console...

I ditched console-tools when it suddenly started to switch to tty6 upon
boot�. Moving to kbd solved that problem and some others as well.

> As an additional suggestion, I recommend using console-terminus (if
> you want you can also try xfonts-terminus), so you select it as well
> when running dpkg-reconfigure console-setup, :-)

I did not mention console-terminus because console-setup already depends
on it, but it has some nice fonts indeed.

Sven

� http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=570338

On 05 Aug 2010, Javier Vasquez wrote:
> On 8/5/10, Jordon Bedwell <jordon(a)envygeeks.com> wrote:
> > On 8/5/2010 12:54 PM, Sven Joachim wrote:
> >> The solution is to use a bigger font, as I had tried to explain.
> >
> > Yes, that was your solution, until he explained (which you merrily
> > missed apparently) that even though he used your "fix" the font resets
> > back to a small size a little ways into the boot.
>
> It's not that you got small fonts back. It's that console-tools
> doesn't support the combination of font and size you selected. A
> message is prompted out of dpkg-reconfigure when that happens usually.
> So using kbd instead of console-tools, and then running
> dpkg-reconfigure agian, usually takes care of that problem.
>
> --
> Javier.

Doesn't seem to work here. The small font I can live with, but if I
enable KMS another problem appears. Initially the console type face is
large. If I start X and go back to the console with ctrl-alt-F1 the type
face is small. If I do this a second time the console is completely
blank.

I've tried different settings (Terminus, VGA) in dpkg-reconfigure but
that seems to have no effect.

--
Anthony Campbell - ac(a)acampbell.org.uk
http://www.acampbell.org.uk - sample my ebooks

On 06 Aug 2010, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> Doesn't seem to work here. The small font I can live with, but if I
> enable KMS another problem appears. Initially the console type face is
> large. If I start X and go back to the console with ctrl-alt-F1 the type
> face is small. If I do this a second time the console is completely
> blank.
>
> I've tried different settings (Terminus, VGA) in dpkg-reconfigure but
> that seems to have no effect.

Sorry to follow up to myself, but I found a solution in a bug report for
KMS. If I have the radeon module loaded at boot time the blank screen in
the console doesn't happen.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac(a)acampbell.org.uk
http://www.acampbell.org.uk - sample my ebooks
at http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/acampbell

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3