From: Sven Joachim on
On 2010-08-05 15:59 +0200, Thomas H. George wrote:

> About half way through the boot up the scripts changed back to the tiny
> fonts. There was a line saying consolechars can only load fonts with a
> height of 16, try installing setfont. Apt-get search found setfont in
> kbd-compat but apt-get install reported that the latest version of
> kbd-compat was already installed.
>
> What now?

Replace kbd-compat and console-tools by kbd, it is in my experience
*much* less buggy.

Sven

On 8/5/2010 8:59 AM, Thomas H. George wrote:
> I followed these instructions chosing the Terminus font and a character
> height of 32 and then rebooted. The boot screen and initial scripts
> were easy to read, actually larger than I need BUT
>
> About half way through the boot up the scripts changed back to the tiny
> fonts. There was a line saying consolechars can only load fonts with a
> height of 16, try installing setfont. Apt-get search found setfont in
> kbd-compat but apt-get install reported that the latest version of
> kbd-compat was already installed.
>
> What now?
>
> Tom

Don't change the subject line unless you plan to change the topic.

sudo vim /boot/grub/menu.lst

Edit:
kernel /boot/blah-blah-kernel root=/my/device ro quiet splash

Add:
vga=HEX

Size 640x400 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1152x864 1280x1024 1600x1200
--------+--------------------------------------------------------------
8 bits | 0x300 0x301 0x303 0x305 0x161 0x307 0x31C
15 bits | ? 0x310 0x313 0x316 0x162 0x319 0x31D
16 bits | ? 0x311 0x314 0x317 0x163 0x31A 0x31E

In otherwords, changing the console resolution should solve your
problem. You just have to be careful because you could end up with
squishy text but it will be bigger.

On 05 Aug 2010, Thomas H. George wrote:

> I followed these instructions chosing the Terminus font and a character
> height of 32 and then rebooted. The boot screen and initial scripts
> were easy to read, actually larger than I need BUT
>
> About half way through the boot up the scripts changed back to the tiny
> fonts. There was a line saying consolechars can only load fonts with a
> height of 16, try installing setfont. Apt-get search found setfont in
> kbd-compat but apt-get install reported that the latest version of
> kbd-compat was already installed.
>
> What now?
>
> Tom

Isn't this the KMS issue? I solved it by editing
/etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf, as suggested by
/usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-radeon.

The change to tiny font half-way through booting was exactly the symptom
I had before doing the above.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac(a)acampbell.org.uk
http://www.acampbell.org.uk - sample my ebooks

On 8/5/2010 12:54 PM, Sven Joachim wrote:
> The solution is to use a bigger font, as I had tried to explain.

Yes, that was your solution, until he explained (which you merrily
missed apparently) that even though he used your "fix" the font resets
back to a small size a little ways into the boot.

On 2010-08-05 19:26 +0200, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> On 05 Aug 2010, Thomas H. George wrote:
>> >
>> I followed these instructions chosing the Terminus font and a character
>> height of 32 and then rebooted. The boot screen and initial scripts
>> were easy to read, actually larger than I need BUT
>>
>> About half way through the boot up the scripts changed back to the tiny
>> fonts. There was a line saying consolechars can only load fonts with a
>> height of 16, try installing setfont. Apt-get search found setfont in
>> kbd-compat but apt-get install reported that the latest version of
>> kbd-compat was already installed.
>>
>> What now?
>>
>> Tom
>>

> Isn't this the KMS issue? I solved it by editing
> /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf, as suggested by
> /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-radeon.

This is not a solution but rather a workaround that may stop working at
some time in the future when xserver-xorg-video-radeon starts to
_require_ KMS. Beside, it already won't work for Nvidia cards if you
want to use the Nouveau X driver. So far, Thomas has not told anything
about his graphics card.

> The change to tiny font half-way through booting was exactly the symptom
> I had before doing the above.

The solution is to use a bigger font, as I had tried to explain.

Sven

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: What to put on SSD