From: Damon Courtney on
This is a new Tk package I am working on, and I would like some
community opinion before offering it up for release. For those who
don't follow the wiki, please see:

http://wiki.tcl.tk/26699

and comment if you have one.
From: Donal K. Fellows on
On Jul 23, 12:44 am, Damon Courtney <damon.court...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> This is a new Tk package I am working on, and I would like some
> community opinion before offering it up for release.  For those who
> don't follow the wiki, please see:
>
> http://wiki.tcl.tk/26699
>
> and comment if you have one.

Wasn't there a TkX thing back in the bad old days of bigwishes? IIRC,
it was a Tcl interpreter with both Tk and TclX extensions built in. I
never really used it so I don't know much more about it than that.
OTOH, I'd be very happy to expunge that long-obsolete information in
favor of whatever you propose. :-)

Donal.
From: DTM on
On Jul 22, 7:44 pm, Damon Courtney <damon.court...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> This is a new Tk package I am working on, and I would like some
> community opinion before offering it up for release.  For those who
> don't follow the wiki, please see:
>
> http://wiki.tcl.tk/26699
>
> and comment if you have one.

Here is my perspective as the author of a TCL/TK GUI code generating
tool (TKproE).

In general, I don't like megawidget packages. Properly determining and
saving the TCL/TK code necessary to reproduce the megawidget items
tends to be very difficult.

Dennis LaBelle
From: Damon Courtney on
On Jul 25, 4:07 pm, DTM <gone2cani...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 22, 7:44 pm, Damon Courtney <damon.court...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This is a new Tk package I am working on, and I would like some
> > community opinion before offering it up for release.  For those who
> > don't follow the wiki, please see:
>
> >http://wiki.tcl.tk/26699
>
> > and comment if you have one.
>
> Here is my perspective as the author of a TCL/TK GUI code generating
> tool (TKproE).
>
> In general, I don't like megawidget packages. Properly determining and
> saving the TCL/TK code necessary to reproduce the megawidget items
> tends to be very difficult.
>
> Dennis LaBelle

TkX is designed to make any megawidget look and act exactly as a core
widget would. I don't think a megawidget platform is complete without
total compatibility with the core. This is where all that I have used
in the past fail.

I would very much like you take a look once I release it, but I think
you'll find that every widget will conform to your expectations. If
they don't for some reason; well, that's a bug. 0-]

Speaking as someone who has also written a Tcl/Tk IDE (Visual Tcl), I
know your pain. I'm trying to relieve some of that. 0-]

Damon
From: Damon Courtney on
On Jul 25, 10:57 am, "Donal K. Fellows"
<donal.k.fell...(a)manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Jul 23, 12:44 am, Damon Courtney <damon.court...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This is a new Tk package I am working on, and I would like some
> > community opinion before offering it up for release.  For those who
> > don't follow the wiki, please see:
>
> >http://wiki.tcl.tk/26699
>
> > and comment if you have one.
>
> Wasn't there a TkX thing back in the bad old days of bigwishes? IIRC,
> it was a Tcl interpreter with both Tk and TclX extensions built in. I
> never really used it so I don't know much more about it than that.
> OTOH, I'd be very happy to expunge that long-obsolete information in
> favor of whatever you propose. :-)
>
> Donal.

There was a TkX package that shipped alongside TclX, but I think it
was just some helper stuff. TclX did build a wishx in its build that
was just Tcl + Tk + TclX, but so did most every major extension back
in those days. Blech.

I just stole the name because there wasn't a wiki page with the name
and because the Tkx is the name of the modern Perl/Tk bridge. Plus it
just sounds nice. 0-]