From: Eric_G on
Is there a way to add text within an email message so that it can be
"expanded" or collapsed" by the reader upon receipt?
From: Bob I on
Sounds like you are referring to an attachment, Word doc or Notepad text
file.

From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
No, because Outlook (and many other mail clients) don't support active
content.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

From: VanguardLH on
Eric_G wrote:

> Is there a way to add text within an email message so that it can be
> "expanded" or collapsed" by the reader upon receipt?

That would require the use of a script in an HTML document. The script
would trigger on the event of you clicking on an object, like a "+" or "-"
icon to expand or collapse that section.

The default security zone used by Outlook (Restricted Sites) and the
security predominantly configured in other e-mail clients is to disable
scripting. E-mail users don't want unknown scripts running on their hosts,
especially for spam, phish, or other unwanted e-mails from unknown or
untrusted senders. That means you could compose an HTML document with the
scripts to do the expand/collapse of text but the e-mail clients for your
recipients won't give a gnat's fart about those scripts since they are
ignoring them.

E-mail is not for sending HTML web pages. For that, design your own web
page and direct your recipients to there by giving them a URL in your e-mail
that you send to them. Alternatively, you could send a web page as an
attachment (providing it contained all the objects defined in your web page
along with all the scripts rather than in separate files) and let the user
save the web page; however, they'll have to figure out how to load that web
page locally. You would also attach a Word .doc since, as I recall, Word
has a means of expanding/collapsing sections in documents. Of course, that
means the recipient must have a means of viewing that .doc file that you
attach to your e-mails.