From: Mladen Gogala on
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 08:58:46 -0700, Jia Lu wrote:

> Thanks for your answer.
> What about the payment's difference of OEL 5.4 support and RHEL 5.4
> support?
> I think I will use the cheaper one.

My advice is to use Red Hat. If everybody starts going for OEL, it will
soon stop being cheap. The price difference in support is big enough to
risk Oracle becoming the largest Linux provider.
Oracle was cheap while there were alternatives, mainly Sybase, Informix
and Ingres. All 3 of those have died, there are very few alternatives.
Oracle prices are outrageous. Do not risk that happening with the Linux,
go for Red Hat.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com
From: John Hurley on
On Mar 17, 2:46 pm, Mladen Gogala <n...(a)email.here.invalid> wrote:

snip

> My advice is to use Red Hat. If everybody starts going for OEL, it will
> soon stop being cheap. The price difference in support is big enough to
> risk Oracle becoming the largest Linux provider.
> Oracle was cheap while there were alternatives, mainly Sybase, Informix
> and Ingres. All 3 of those have died, there are very few alternatives.
> Oracle prices are outrageous. Do not risk that happening with the Linux,
> go for Red Hat.

Since Oracle's current linux strategy is to clone based on Red Hat I
don't think Red Hat is going away anytime soon.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: LogMiner SESSION_INFO is empty
Next: semvmx