From: Here In Oregon on

"R. Lamar Duffy" <LamarN0Spam(a)DrNCognito.com> wrote in message
> Everybody always disses me when I say this, but my favorite album is
> "Deface The Music." The best Beatles album never recorded by the Beatles.
>
> Has anybody gotten "Arena"? Read a couple good reviews, but haven't
> picked it up yet.
>
> The other thing you'll notice about Todd if you see him live is that his
> hands are ENORMOUS. I saw he & Jesse Gress from Guitar Player play
> together; between the 2 of them, there must've been an acre of palms. The
> reaches either of them can pull off on a nylon string are about what I
> could do on a ukelele.
>
> Lamar

Good call Lamar.

From Rolling Stone mag.
"Beatlemaniacs will either froth or fume over Utopia's Deface the Music.
Todd Rundgren, Kasim Sulton, Willie Wilcox and Roger Powell not only have
the nerve to write thirteen songs in which they turn your favorite Beatles
tunes and riffs inside out and upside down, but also to perform them so they
sound uncannily like the real thing-a sort of Reheat the Beatles.

Most of Deface the Music is a game of spot-the-influence. For example, "I
Just Want to Touch You" is a winning hybrid of "I Want to Hold Your Hand,"
"I Saw Her Standing There" and "She Loves You," with the harmonica borrowed
from "Love Me Do." The band plays it pretty straight, however, in "Hoi
Poloi" (a kind of "Penny Lane" revisited), the "Michelle"-like "All Smiles"
and the big finale, "Everybody Else is Wrong" (which should have been called
"I Am the Strawberry Walrus Forever").

A literal rewrite of the Lennon-McCartney songbook may seem as pointless as
a new Knack LP. But Utopia-and Rundgren, in particular-have always had a
talent for this sort of snappy, crackling pop. Besides, the ingenious,
engaging way they go about it here is a tribute to the spirit of fun that
marked the originals. That kind of imitation is the sincerest form of
flattery. (RS 33"

From: Ricky Hunt on
"Glennbo" <vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss(a)cox.net> wrote in message
> In news:hco6tj$e54$1(a)appyface.eternal-september.org the killer robot
> "Sue Morton" <867-5309(a)domain.invalid> grabbed the controls of the
> spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
>> Seriously, I can't say I'm familiar with most or all of Todd Rungren's
>> work, but what I've heard I do like.
>
> "Hello It's Me", "We gotta get you a woman", "I Saw The Light", "Bang On
> the Drum All Day", "Real Man", "Black Maria", "Healer", "Eastern
> Intrigue",
> "The Death of Rock and Roll", "Initiation", and "A Treatise on Cosmic
> Fire" are a few of my favorites.

My very favorite is from a live album called "One Long Year" after he moved
to Hawaii. It's called "Bang on the Ukulele Daily". Every single clip I
found online is the same 30 second clip with a little bit of pre-song talk
and a few strums of the intro. If you can't find the full version from
finish to end (with intro talking) DO NOT listen to any of it or it will
ruin it. But it's very clever and funny.