From: Michael Soibelman on
I recently re-installed tomcat55 on my system. When I try to start it up by
using the (Yast) runlevel editor I get an error 7 warning and it does not
start the tomcat server...

When I use the startup script that comes with the tomcat55 installation
located (on my system) at '/srv/www/tomcat55/base/bin' the server starts.

How do I go about replacing the /etc/init.d/tomcat55 shell script with the
provided startup.sh shell script ??

Is this the correct way to address this problem ?

Thanks.
From: TGGA on
Some being by the name of Michael Soibelman managed to piece together the
following:

> '/srv/www/tomcat55/base/bin' the server starts.
>
> How do I go about replacing the /etc/init.d/tomcat55 shell script with the
> provided startup.sh shell script ??

Edit the script /etc/init.d/tomcat55 and ensure the path and executables in
there are amended to the same executables/paths in the startup script.

--
I'm a dyslexic satanist, I worship the drivel... must be why I'm here
From: Michael Soibelman on
TGGA wrote:

> Some being by the name of Michael Soibelman managed to piece together the
> following:
>
>> '/srv/www/tomcat55/base/bin' the server starts.
>>
>> How do I go about replacing the /etc/init.d/tomcat55 shell script with
>> the provided startup.sh shell script ??
>
> Edit the script /etc/init.d/tomcat55 and ensure the path and executables
> in there are amended to the same executables/paths in the startup script.

That sounds logical, however I am not sure exactly how/where to make the
changes. Here are the two files. I hope I can get some assistance. I'll
apologize in advance for the rather large post as the second file is quite
large.

1. This is the file 'startup.sh' (located at /srv/www/tomcat55/base/bin/)

#!/bin/sh
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Start Script for the CATALINA Server
#
# $Id: startup.sh 385888 2006-03-14 21:04:40Z keith $
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Better OS/400 detection: see Bugzilla 31132
os400=false
darwin=false
case "`uname`" in
CYGWIN*) cygwin=true;;
OS400*) os400=true;;
Darwin*) darwin=true;;
esac

# resolve links - $0 may be a softlink
PRG="$0"

while [ -h "$PRG" ] ; do
ls=`ls -ld "$PRG"`
link=`expr "$ls" : '.*-> \(.*\)$'`
if expr "$link" : '/.*' > /dev/null; then
PRG="$link"
else
PRG=`dirname "$PRG"`/"$link"
fi
done

PRGDIR=`dirname "$PRG"`
EXECUTABLE=catalina.sh

# Check that target executable exists
if $os400; then
# -x will Only work on the os400 if the files are:
# 1. owned by the user
# 2. owned by the PRIMARY group of the user
# this will not work if the user belongs in secondary groups
eval
else
if [ ! -x "$PRGDIR"/"$EXECUTABLE" ]; then
echo "Cannot find $PRGDIR/$EXECUTABLE"
echo "This file is needed to run this program"
exit 1
fi
fi

exec "$PRGDIR"/"$EXECUTABLE" start "$@"

2. This is the suse file for /etc/init.d/tomcat55 (Tomcat55-5.5.23-112)

#! /bin/sh
# Copyright (c) 1995-2001 SuSE GmbH Nuernberg, Germany.
# Copyright (c) 2002 SuSE Linux AG Nuernberg, Germany.
#
# Author: Petr Mladek <feedback(a)suse.de>
#
# /etc/init.d/tomcat5
#
# and its symbolic link
#
# /usr/sbin/rctomcat55
#
# System startup script for the Tomcat servlet container
#
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: tomcat
# Required-Start: $local_fs $remote_fs
### END INIT INFO

tomcatIsRunning()
{
tomcat_ps_log=`mktemp /var/tmp/tomcat-ps.log.XXXXXX`
ps aux --cols 1024 >"$tomcat_ps_log"
tomcat_is_running="false"
if
grep " -Dcatalina.base=$CATALINA_BASE.*-Dcatalina.home=$CATALINA_HOME.*org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap" "$tomcat_ps_log"
>/dev/null 2>/dev/null ; then
tomcat_is_running="true"
fi
rm -f "$tomcat_ps_log"
test "$tomcat_is_running" = "true"
}

# Check for missing binaries and configuration
# Note: Special treatment of stop for LSB conformance
TOMCAT_CONFIG=/etc/sysconfig/tomcat55
test -r "$TOMCAT_CONFIG" || { echo "$TOMCAT_CONFIG not existing";
if [ "$1" = "stop" ]; then exit 0;
else exit 6; fi; }

#save JAVA_HOME before it gets overwritten
OLD_JAVA_HOME=$JAVA_HOME
OLD_JAVA_OPTS=$JAVA_OPTS

# Read config
.. "$TOMCAT_CONFIG"

# test whether JAVA_HOME and JAVA_OPTS were overwritten ... if empty now,
reset to old values
test -n "$JAVA_HOME" || JAVA_HOME=$OLD_JAVA_HOME
test -n "$JAVA_OPTS" || JAVA_OPTS=$OLD_JAVA_OPTS

#CATALINA_HOME="$CATALINA_HOME_4"
#CATALINA_BASE="$CATALINA_BASE_4"
# defaults CATALINA_BASE to CATALINA_HOME
test -n "$CATALINA_BASE" || CATALINA_BASE="$CATALINA_HOME"

test -x "$CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh" || {
echo "$CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh not installed";
if [ "$1" = "stop" ]; then exit 0;
else exit 5; fi; }
test -x "$CATALINA_HOME/bin/shutdown.sh" || {
echo "$CATALINA_HOME/bin/shutdown.sh not installed";
if [ "$1" = "stop" ]; then exit 0;
else exit 5; fi; }

# is the BASE valid?
test -d "$CATALINA_BASE/webapps" || test -L "$CATALINA_BASE/webapps" || {
echo "$CATALINA_BASE/webapps not existing";
if [ "$1" = "stop" ]; then exit 0;
else exit 6; fi; }

# valid user and group?
test -n "$TOMCAT_BASE_USER" || TOMCAT_BASE_USER="tomcat"
test -n "$TOMCAT_BASE_GROUP" || TOMCAT_BASE_GROUP="tomcat"

# pid set?
test -n "$CATALINA_PID" || CATALINA_PID="/var/run/tomcat55.pid"

# the following variables affects the server
export CATALINA_HOME CATALINA_BASE CATALINA_OPTS CATALINA_TMPDIR JAVA_HOME
JAVA_OPTS JPDA_TRANSPORT JPDA_ADDRESS JSSE_HOME CATALINA_PID
TOMCAT_BASE_USER TOMCAT_BASE_GROUP

# Shell functions sourced from /etc/rc.status:
# rc_check check and set local and overall rc status
# rc_status check and set local and overall rc status
# rc_status -v ditto but be verbose in local rc status
# rc_status -v -r ditto and clear the local rc status
# rc_failed set local and overall rc status to failed
# rc_reset clear local rc status (overall remains)
# rc_exit exit appropriate to overall rc status
.. /etc/rc.status

# First reset status of this service
rc_reset

# Return values acc. to LSB for all commands but status:
# 0 - success
# 1 - generic or unspecified error
# 2 - invalid or excess argument(s)
# 3 - unimplemented feature (e.g. "reload")
# 4 - insufficient privilege
# 5 - program is not installed
# 6 - program is not configured
# 7 - program is not running
#
# Note that starting an already running service, stopping
# or restarting a not-running service as well as the restart
# with force-reload (in case signalling is not supported) are
# considered a success.

case "$1" in
start)
echo -n "Starting Tomcat ($CATALINA_BASE)"
## Start daemon with startproc(8). If this fails
## the echo return value is set appropriate.

# NOTE: startproc return 0, even if service is
# already running to match LSB spec.
if tomcatIsRunning ; then
rc_failed 0
else
# try to fix permissions
chown --dereference $TOMCAT_BASE_USER:$TOMCAT_BASE_GROUP "$CATALINA_BASE"
for dir in "$CATALINA_BASE/conf" \
"$CATALINA_BASE/logs" \
"$CATALINA_BASE/temp" \
"$CATALINA_BASE/server" \
"$CATALINA_BASE/webapps" \
"$CATALINA_BASE/work" ; do
# the command true is used because of for example conf directory may be
mounted read-only
test -d "$dir" && chown -R -L --dereference $TOMCAT_BASE_USER
$TOMCAT_BASE_GROUP "$dir" 2>/dev/null || true
done
touch $CATALINA_PID
chown $TOMCAT_BASE_USER:$TOMCAT_BASE_GROUP $CATALINA_PID
su $TOMCAT_BASE_USER -s /bin/bash -c "$CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh
$TOMCAT_OPTS > $CATALINA_BASE/logs//start.log 2>&1"
sleep 5
if tomcatIsRunning ; then
rc_failed 0
else
rc_failed 7
fi
fi
rc_status -v
;;
stop)
echo -n "Shutting down Tomcat ($CATALINA_BASE)"
## Stop daemon with killproc(8) and if this fails
## set echo the echo return value.
if tomcatIsRunning ; then
# wait 60 sec for stop at maximum
wait_sec=60
while [ "$wait_sec" != "0" ] ; do
su $TOMCAT_BASE_USER -s /bin/bash -c "$CATALINA_HOME/bin/shutdown.sh >
$CATALINA_BASE/logs/stop.log 2>&1"
sleep 1
if ! tomcatIsRunning ; then
# theTomcat server is stoped, end the loop
wait_sec=0
break
fi
wait_sec=$((wait_sec -1))
done
# if tomcat is _still_ running, try it with kill:
if tomcatIsRunning
then
kill `cat $CATALINA_PID`
# wait 60 sec for stop at maximum
wait_sec=60
while [ "$wait_sec" != "0" ] ; do
sleep 1
if ! tomcatIsRunning ; then
# theTomcat server is stoped, end the loop
wait_sec=0
break
fi
wait_sec=$((wait_sec -1))
done
fi
# if tomcat is __still__ running, try it with kill -9
if tomcatIsRunning
then
kill -9 `cat $CATALINA_PID`
# wait 60 sec for stop at maximum
wait_sec=60
while [ "$wait_sec" != "0" ] ; do
sleep 1
if ! tomcatIsRunning ; then
# theTomcat server is stoped, end the loop
wait_sec=0
break
fi
wait_sec=$((wait_sec -1))
done
fi
# check the final status
if tomcatIsRunning ; then
rc_failed 1
else
rc_failed 0
fi
else
rc_failed 0
fi
# Remember status and be verbose
rc_status -v
;;
try-restart)
## Stop the service and if this succeeds (i.e. the
## service was running before), start it again.
## Note: try-restart is not (yet) part of LSB (as of 0.7.5)
$0 status >/dev/null && $0 restart

# Remember status and be quiet
rc_status
;;
restart)
## Stop the service and regardless of whether it was
## running or not, start it again.
$0 stop
$0 start

# Remember status and be quiet
rc_status
;;
force-reload)
## Signal the daemon to reload its config. Most daemons
## do this on signal 1 (SIGHUP).
## If it does not support it, restart.

echo -n "Reload service Tomcat $($CATALINA_BASE)"
## if it supports it:
#killproc -HUP $TOMCAT_BIN
#touch /var/run/FOO.pid
#rc_status -v

## Otherwise:
$0 stop && $0 start
rc_status
;;
reload)
## Like force-reload, but if daemon does not support
## signalling, do nothing (!)

# If it supports signalling:
#echo -n "Reload service FOO"
#killproc -HUP $TOMCAT_BIN
#touch /var/run/FOO.pid
#rc_status -v

## Otherwise if it does not support reload:
rc_failed 3
rc_status -v
;;
status)
echo -n "Checking for Tomcat ($CATALINA_BASE)"
## Check status with checkproc(8), if process is running
## checkproc will return with exit status 0.

# Status has a slightly different for the status command:
# 0 - service running
# 1 - service dead, but /var/run/ pid file exists
# 2 - service dead, but /var/lock/ lock file exists
# 3 - service not running

# NOTE: checkproc returns LSB compliant status values.
if tomcatIsRunning ; then
rc_failed 0
else
rc_failed 3
fi
rc_status -v
;;
probe)
## Optional: Probe for the necessity of a reload,
## give out the argument which is required for a reload.
;;
*)
echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|status|try-restart|restart|force-reload|reload
probe}"
exit 1
;;
esac