From: Ben Myers on
On 5/16/2010 12:26 AM, RnR wrote:
> On Sat, 15 May 2010 15:04:28 -0400, Ben Myers<ben_myers(a)charter.net>
> wrote:

>>> smart is known for giving false positives, overreacting to err on the
>>> side of caution. dft is more through and more acurate. if dft says it is
>>> ok then i would believe it and use the drive.
>>> http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/technolo/dft/dft.htm
>>
>> Thanks for the thoughts. I get paranoid about hard drives, because it
>> seems like the only computers that come back to me under warranty end up
>> with hard drive problems. After all, all the warranty in the world will
>> not recover someone's valuable data... Ben
>

> As I've said before, I've had unreliable SMART findings so I don't put
> 100% faith in them. I can't explain nor remember what drives these
> bad findings were in as it's been years but I think it was William
> that said to try SPINRITE and I agree. Of course you know this
> already.

S.M.A.R.T. is one of those so-called industry standards that
manufacturers kind of sort of follow. Whether this is engineering
ineptitude on the part of the firmware writers or intentional by the
marketing people, it casts the reliability of the data and the drives
themselves in doubt.

Fujitsu was a major offender in not following the standard, but the
Fujitsu drive operation was acquired by Toshiba (UGH!), the worst laptop
drives IMHO... Ben