From: Tim Conway on

"Sharx35" <sharx35(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Steven Latus" <slatus@*delete_this_part_to_reply*optonline.net> wrote in
> message news:4bd3a83e$0$22346$607ed4bc(a)cv.net...
>> On 04/17/2010 8:12 PM, Ralph wrote:
>>> I get the message "Quicken's most recently used files list can only show
>>> the
>>> first 50 files in this directory. You have too many data files to list
>>> them
>>> all".
>>>
>>> So how do I resolve this issue?
>>>
>>> Ralph
>>>

>> Make a second data folder and move all the files over the limit into the
>> new folder.
>>
>> You could have 50 files in DATA1, for example, and the rest in DATA2.
>>
>> Add more folders as needed. :)
>
> What kind of obsessive idiot KEEPS that many files?

must be a "Monk" fan.

From: JOhn on
John Oliver wrote:

> One caveat here... flash drives are only good for so many read/writes.

Bullshit.

Writing (and reading) to a memory cell on a DRAM does not in any way
damage the cell. What idiot told you that or did you make it up?

That is like saying you can only freeze and thaw water so many times
before you need to replace it.

john
From: CSM1 on
JOhn <me(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:4BDE2036.5090800(a)gmail.com:

> John Oliver wrote:
>

>> One caveat here... flash drives are only good for so many
read/writes.

> Bullshit.
>
> Writing (and reading) to a memory cell on a DRAM does not in any way
> damage the cell. What idiot told you that or did you make it up?
>
> That is like saying you can only freeze and thaw water so many times
> before you need to replace it.
>
> john

I suppose you would never change the cooking oil in a fry pot.
Cooking oil has a limit how much food you can fry in the same oil.

Water gets dirty and a breeding ground for bacteria. You would want to
change the water often.

It is not a myth. It is the type of memory.

Three different sources.

http://ask-leo.com/can_a_usb_thumbdrive_wear_out.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory#Limitations

How about straight from a memory manufacturer.
See: Flash Cell Endurance on Page 4 of this PDF.
http://www.kingston.com/products/pdf_files/FlashMemGuide.pdf

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
From: Robert Neville on
JOhn <me(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Bullshit.
>
>Writing (and reading) to a memory cell on a DRAM does not in any way
>damage the cell. What idiot told you that or did you make it up?

Flash is not DRAM, and Flash reads aren't limited, but write/erases are limited
to around 100K. Some flash memory systems rotate memory blocks to even out wear,
but even without that, you aren't likely to run into wearing out the memory
unless you use a flash drive as a RAM substitute.

Apology accepted.
From: JOhn on
Robert Neville wrote:
> JOhn <me(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Bullshit.
>>
>> Writing (and reading) to a memory cell on a DRAM does not in any way
>> damage the cell. What idiot told you that or did you make it up?
>
> Flash is not DRAM, and Flash reads aren't limited, but write/erases are limited
> to around 100K. Some flash memory systems rotate memory blocks to even out wear,
> but even without that, you aren't likely to run into wearing out the memory
> unless you use a flash drive as a RAM substitute.
>
> Apology accepted.

Slight correction: The Flash drive will not fail in your lifetime.

And just because water will become stale it will still freeze and thaw
and freeze and thaw and....until the sun explodes. Which will be when
your flash drive will stop working.