From: L.A.T. on
I have replaced a moribund Athlon64 2.25gHz machine with a Sempron 1.6(?)gHz
machine with on-board audio and video. It is adequate for most of what I do.
Except for videos. It handles videos from every source I have tried so far
except utube. Most, if not all utube videos come in fits and starts with
lots of "waiting-time" rotating dots.
If there is a way round this I would like to know, but utube doesn't rank
very highly in my priorities.

From: z1 on
L.A.T. wrote:
> I have replaced a moribund Athlon64 2.25gHz machine with a Sempron 1.6(?)gHz
> machine with on-board audio and video. It is adequate for most of what I do.
> Except for videos. It handles videos from every source I have tried so far
> except utube. Most, if not all utube videos come in fits and starts with
> lots of "waiting-time" rotating dots.
> If there is a way round this I would like to know, but utube doesn't rank
> very highly in my priorities.

well from what I understand Utube uses Flash, so maybe you need to
update/upgrade your Flash in order to possibly get a better result.
.. . . just guessing :)
From: me here on
z1 wrote:

> L.A.T. wrote:
> > I have replaced a moribund Athlon64 2.25gHz machine with a Sempron
> > 1.6(?)gHz machine with on-board audio and video. It is adequate for
> > most of what I do. Except for videos. It handles videos from every
> > source I have tried so far except utube. Most, if not all utube
> > videos come in fits and starts with lots of "waiting-time" rotating
> > dots. If there is a way round this I would like to know, but utube
> > doesn't rank very highly in my priorities.
> >

> well from what I understand Utube uses Flash, so maybe you need to
> update/upgrade your Flash in order to possibly get a better result.
> . . . just guessing :)

Utube uses flash.

Flash is very CPU intensive, especially the latest flavours.

Save a flash video and then try playing if from the HD.

If it plays OK then the problem is your Internet feed being too slow,
or the download site is slow.

That CPU should play even the latest flash formats OK provided you have
a half decent video card.

From: Tsunami Australia on
On 25/04/2010 6:54 AM, L.A.T. wrote:
> I have replaced a moribund Athlon64 2.25gHz machine with a Sempron 1.6(?)gHz
> machine with on-board audio and video. It is adequate for most of what I do.
> Except for videos. It handles videos from every source I have tried so far
> except utube. Most, if not all utube videos come in fits and starts with
> lots of "waiting-time" rotating dots.
> If there is a way round this I would like to know, but utube doesn't rank
> very highly in my priorities.

Why would you downgrade so much on cpu performance?
From: terryc on
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 20:54:18 +0000, L.A.T. wrote:

> I have replaced a moribund Athlon64 2.25gHz machine with a Sempron
> 1.6(?)gHz machine with on-board audio and video. It is adequate for most
> of what I do. Except for videos. It handles videos from every source I
> have tried so far except utube. Most, if not all utube videos come in
> fits and starts with lots of "waiting-time" rotating dots. If there is a
> way round this I would like to know, but utube doesn't rank very highly
> in my priorities.

Might not be the motherboard/etc combo, but the utube source.