From: Martin Gregorie on
On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 17:12:39 +0000, Andy Botterill wrote:

> Martin Gregorie wrote:
>> .... until they make a RIPA III Executive Order stating that use of
>> privoxy +TOR is a terrorist act.
>>
> Can I use this (tor+privoxy) to protect news/mail access? I'm not sure
> exactly what tor does. Andy

From the web sites:

Privoxy is a non-caching web proxy with advanced filtering capabilities
for enhancing privacy, modifying web page data and HTTP headers,
controlling access, and removing ads and other obnoxious Internet junk.
Privoxy has a flexible configuration and can be customized to suit
individual needs and tastes. It has application for both stand-alone
systems and multi-user networks.

Tor is free software and an open network that helps you defend against a
form of network surveillance that threatens personal freedom and privacy,
confidential business activities and relationships, and state security
known as traffic analysis.

Tor protects you by bouncing your communications around a distributed
network of relays run by volunteers all around the world: it prevents
somebody watching your Internet connection from learning what sites you
visit, and it prevents the sites you visit from learning your physical
location. Tor works with many of your existing applications, including
web browsers, instant messaging clients, remote login, and other
applications based on the TCP protocol.

IOW privoxy scrapes ads etc. out of incoming web pages and helps prevent
private infor from leaking out of your system while Tor obscures your IP
and location.

They are not things I've used, but if our wonderful Govt gets much more
intrusive and starts trying to collect information people don't think
they're entitled to, I reckon you'll see use of privoxy and Tor skyrocket.

IMO examples of such unwarranted intrusion would be logging all use of an
ID Card and using IMP to trace all Internet usage.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Baron on
Martin Gregorie wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 17:12:39 +0000, Andy Botterill wrote:
>
>> Martin Gregorie wrote:
>>> .... until they make a RIPA III Executive Order stating that use of
>>> privoxy +TOR is a terrorist act.
>>>
>> Can I use this (tor+privoxy) to protect news/mail access? I'm not
>> sure exactly what tor does. Andy
>>>
> From the web sites:
>
> Privoxy is a non-caching web proxy with advanced filtering
> capabilities for enhancing privacy, modifying web page data and HTTP
> headers, controlling access, and removing ads and other obnoxious
> Internet junk. Privoxy has a flexible configuration and can be
> customized to suit individual needs and tastes. It has application for
> both stand-alone systems and multi-user networks.
>
> Tor is free software and an open network that helps you defend against
> a form of network surveillance that threatens personal freedom and
> privacy, confidential business activities and relationships, and state
> security known as traffic analysis.
>
> Tor protects you by bouncing your communications around a distributed
> network of relays run by volunteers all around the world: it prevents
> somebody watching your Internet connection from learning what sites
> you visit, and it prevents the sites you visit from learning your
> physical location. Tor works with many of your existing applications,
> including web browsers, instant messaging clients, remote login, and
> other applications based on the TCP protocol.
>
> IOW privoxy scrapes ads etc. out of incoming web pages and helps
> prevent private infor from leaking out of your system while Tor
> obscures your IP and location.
>
> They are not things I've used, but if our wonderful Govt gets much
> more intrusive and starts trying to collect information people don't
> think they're entitled to, I reckon you'll see use of privoxy and Tor
> skyrocket.
>
> IMO examples of such unwarranted intrusion would be logging all use of
> an ID Card and using IMP to trace all Internet usage.

What makes you think that it isn't happening already ? All thats needed
is a way of handling all that data. At the moment its fairly well
distributed, but it won't stay that way.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Geoffrey Clements on
"Martin Gregorie" <martin(a)address-in-sig.invalid> wrote in message
> On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 17:12:39 +0000, Andy Botterill wrote:

[snip stuff on privoxy and tor]

> They are not things I've used,

I experimented with them a couple of years back, the main problem was that
it slowed down my network connection so much that just plain browsing became
(IMHO) unusable. This isn't surprising; the tor network is run by
volunteers, I can imagine they've throttled the packets which is fair
enough.

> but if our wonderful Govt gets much more
> intrusive and starts trying to collect information people don't think
> they're entitled to, I reckon you'll see use of privoxy and Tor skyrocket.

There'll come a point at which the slow connection will be the lesser of the
evils. :(

From: Andy Botterill on
Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 17:12:39 +0000, Andy Botterill wrote:
>

> Privoxy is a non-caching web proxy with advanced filtering capabilities
> for enhancing privacy, modifying web page data and HTTP headers,
> controlling access, and removing ads and other obnoxious Internet junk.
> Privoxy has a flexible configuration and can be customized to suit
> individual needs and tastes. It has application for both stand-alone
> systems and multi-user networks.
>
> Tor is free software and an open network that helps you defend against a
> form of network surveillance that threatens personal freedom and privacy,
> confidential business activities and relationships, and state security
> known as traffic analysis.
>
> Tor protects you by bouncing your communications around a distributed
> network of relays run by volunteers all around the world: it prevents
> somebody watching your Internet connection from learning what sites you
> visit, and it prevents the sites you visit from learning your physical
> location. Tor works with many of your existing applications, including
> web browsers, instant messaging clients, remote login, and other
> applications based on the TCP protocol.
Thanks very much. I thought it was a layer of encryption rather than
sending things out through different places. Thank you for the explanation.

> IOW privoxy scrapes ads etc. out of incoming web pages and helps prevent
> private infor from leaking out of your system while Tor obscures your IP
> and location.
>
> They are not things I've used, but if our wonderful Govt gets much more
> intrusive and starts trying to collect information people don't think
> they're entitled to, I reckon you'll see use of privoxy and Tor skyrocket.
>
> IMO examples of such unwarranted intrusion would be logging all use of an
> ID Card and using IMP to trace all Internet usage.

If (under the alleged illegal filesharers disconnected from their
broadband law) guilt is assumed rather than innocence then I will be
using this method soon after. Andy

From: Martin Gregorie on
On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 10:33:30 +0000, rich wrote:

> Unlike the Tor + privoxy combination, privoxy on its own does not slow
> Opera down, it can speed browsing up as many images are not rendered.
>
> You can save the filtered cookies in a 'cookie-jar' file - don't do this
> now but it is interesting to see the amount of junk some sites inflict
> on the user.

From a quick read of its website, that seems to be the main thing privoxy
can do for you that Opera 10 doesn't.

--