From: Martin Gregorie on
On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 20:26:42 +0000, Nix wrote:

> On 4 Dec 2009, Paul Martin verbalised:
>
>> In article <hfb1oi$jam$2(a)localhost.localdomain>,
>> Martin Gregorie wrote:

>>> I'd assumed that some degree of encryption would be needed -something
>>> like privoxy to clean up outgoing messages and then an encrypted VPN
>>> tunnel to the nearest Tor node, or have I misunderstood how you
>>> connect to it?
>>
>> Tor uses encryption between you and the nearest node, and encryption
>> between nodes.
>
> My point was that the exit nodes can necessarily see your data.

Do I care if the IP can't be traced back and privoxy and/or another
scrubber has removed fingerprints from the outgoing massage?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Nix on
On 5 Dec 2009, Martin Gregorie uttered the following:

> On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 20:26:42 +0000, Nix wrote:
>
>> On 4 Dec 2009, Paul Martin verbalised:

>>> Tor uses encryption between you and the nearest node, and encryption
>>> between nodes.
>>
>> My point was that the exit nodes can necessarily see your data.
>>
> Do I care if the IP can't be traced back and privoxy and/or another
> scrubber has removed fingerprints from the outgoing massage?

No, you don't. But a lot of people forget that, assume 'Tor, therefore safe',
don't encrypt what they do, then transmit personally identifying credentials
along the Tor link. Whoops.