From: Gordon Burditt on
>> Answer from whom?
>>
>> >Smug Doug Gwyn has stated does not believe in sharing
>> >information. So why is he a (sci.crypt expert)?
>>
>> Since there is no such person, he's not a "sci.crypt expert".
>>
>> >And who says there's
>> >no such site as sci.corrupt?
>>
>> There is no .corrupt top-level domain, so there can't be a sci.corrupt
>> site. �Perhaps you were thinking of newsgroup names.
>
>Looks to me like you're asking me to show a little respect where
>absolutely none has been shown to me.

No, if you insist on making references to other posters (which seems
really pointless, as From: lines are trivially forged), you might
try making references to posters that aren't imaginary and are
spelled correctly.

From: Noob on
In message <nIedne0uyPmkLLzWnZ2dnUVZ_uidnZ2d(a)posted.internetamerica>, in which
the value of the From: field was "gordonb.3jotn(a)burditt.org (Gordon Burditt)"

> That's still potential slander/libel if it assigns blame to the
> wrong person when the person inserting it (that would be me) knows
> the From: line is meaningless.
>
> And it still won't tell you who said what. It isn't that uncommon
> to have two different posters named in attribution lines in a posting
> to both say that they didn't say the same objectionable words in
> that posting. Obviously the "who wrote what" gets misinterpreted.
>
>> "Someone claiming to be $(FROM) wrote: "
>
> People rarely claim who they are in a posting (From: lines don't
> count. If you place a meaningless turd there, it doesn't mean
> you're that turd.)

Then provide something strictly factual:
In message $(MESSAGE-ID), in which the value of the From: field was "$(FROM)"

and/or you could provide the NNTP-Posting-Host field (when it exists).

And don't snip attribution lines inserted by other people!
From: Phil Carmody on
gordonb.ov1b8(a)burditt.org (Gordon Burditt) writes:
>>That's freaking hilarious considering your inane attribution
>>policy (namely, not to include one).
>
> Blame assignment (attribution) lines shouldn't be used unless you're
> sure you are blaming the correct person (few articles are digitally
> signed). From: lines are trivially easy to forge, to the point
> that you can't be sure that all articles not posted by you aren't
> posted by a single other person who never uses his real name.

Totally irrelevant. And don't violate the copyright on what I post.

Phil
--
Any true emperor never needs to wear clothes. -- Devany on r.a.s.f1