From: mankoni on
Once a project is baslined , what is the best way to handle the
following scenarios ?

1) New tasks are to be added

2) Reschedule existing tasks(change start dates / dependencies)

Thanks

From: Andrew Skouloudis on

Î?/Î? mankoni(a)gmail.com έγÏ?αÏ?ε:
> Once a project is baslined , what is the best way to handle the
> following scenarios ?
>
> 1) New tasks are to be added

Select a task, then press the Insert button on your keyboard , a new
task will be inserted before the task you had initially selected

> 2) Reschedule existing tasks(change start dates / dependencies)

To change dependencies you have to break the current dependencies.First
of all select the tasks that you want to change the dependencies then
go to Project Guide > Tasks > Schedule tasks and select the last image
, next to the text "Click to break the link for the selected tasks " .
To change start days remainig work etc go to View > Table and select
Tracking, while the Gant Chart view is selected. You can see the table
next to the gantt has many fields to play with. Experiment with these
fields for a while and you will get the point. It's easy.

Hope that helped , i am a newbie too !!!

From: mankoni on
Andrew,
Thaks for your post. What you said is the method for adding and
changing task details. HOWEVER my question was how these 2 scenarios
will impact the baseline and do I have to create a new baseline to
track these changes ?

Bascially , I want to know the impact on the baseline of these 2
actions.

Thanks

From: Andrew Skouloudis on
Actually when you create a baseline what you do is taking a snapshot of
the current instance of the project. No matter what changes you make to
your project after that, the baseline will not be modified UNLESS you
want to.

So adding tasks, or changing dates to tasks will not affect the
baseline you had saved before , but if you want to do so , go to
Project Guide > Track> Save a baseline plan to compare with later
versions .
See ? you have an option to update the baseline you had saved before (
adding all the changes you have made) or you can create a second
baseline (MS Project 2003 can save up to 11 Baselines).

Again , once a baseline is created at some point when working with your
project , it wont change by itself unless you want it to change.

If you want to view all the baselines you have created go to View >
More Views > Multiple Baselines Gantt.

Hope this helped more this time !!

So, to answer your question theri

From: davegb on

mankoni(a)gmail.com wrote:
> Andrew,
> Thaks for your post. What you said is the method for adding and
> changing task details. HOWEVER my question was how these 2 scenarios
> will impact the baseline and do I have to create a new baseline to
> track these changes ?
>
> Bascially , I want to know the impact on the baseline of these 2
> actions.
>
> Thanks

I think what you want is the option to save only part of the project
into the Baseline. You can highlight the new task(s) and the task(s)
affected by them and Save a baseling for those tasks. If you save it to
the same baseline you did for the whole project, it will be added to
that Baseline.

Hope this helps in your world.