From: DLM Global on
In an existing project I am trying to add some tasks but when I attempt to
add the task details (versus the blank new task line) it gives me an error
"The operation could not be completed because the source file contains
invalid project data" even though the only information I have provided is the
actual task name. Original assumption was due to file being originally
password protected (although that did not happen) and perhaps because
original file was saved in Project 2000 - but can't seem to get rid of this
error message and there are no clear explanations in FAQs - anyone experience
this and have an answer to my dilemma? - thanks
--
DJ
From: John on
In article <E50E68A7-ED09-4619-B62B-223FE57FC297(a)microsoft.com>,
DLM Global <DLMGlobal(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> In an existing project I am trying to add some tasks but when I attempt to
> add the task details (versus the blank new task line) it gives me an error
> "The operation could not be completed because the source file contains
> invalid project data" even though the only information I have provided is the
> actual task name. Original assumption was due to file being originally
> password protected (although that did not happen) and perhaps because
> original file was saved in Project 2000 - but can't seem to get rid of this
> error message and there are no clear explanations in FAQs - anyone experience
> this and have an answer to my dilemma? - thanks

DLM Global,
It sounds like the file has been jockeyed around enough to generate
corruption. Go to our MVP website at:
http://www.mvps.org/project/faqs.htm
and take a look at FAQ 43 - File Bloat? Might be corruption
Try the methods suggested there. If it works great, if not, post back.

John
Project MVP
From: DLM Global on
While bloat (file size) doesn't appear to be the culprit, corruption was the
key - by following the "save as mpd then back to mpp" process the file can
now be edited. thanks much
--
DJ

From: John on
In article <4050CADE-CA1C-407B-89B9-B1052C50E7E1(a)microsoft.com>,
DLM Global <DLMGlobal(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> While bloat (file size) doesn't appear to be the culprit, corruption was the
> key - by following the "save as mpd then back to mpp" process the file can
> now be edited. thanks much
> --
> DJ

DJ,
Yeah the title is a bit misleading but once you read the content, it
becomes clear. I'm glad it solved your problem. You're welcome and
thanks for the feedback.

John