From: RichA on
I know that in certain industries (automotive and transportation,
civilian and commercial) trade shows still matter, but do they matter
for cameras? The lack of substantive releases during CES and the PMA
point out perhaps that they don't. Canon avoided the CES and various
electronics trade shows have gone bust. The camera shows will still
draw crowds (though for what I don't know) but we are seeing more
releases to the web than any trade shows. Which is a shame in a way
because you can't touch cameras on the web. The most recent Sony's
(A850, 500, etc) I saw pre-release at a camera store, not a show.
From: Nomen Nescio on

"RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>I know that in certain industries (automotive and transportation,
> civilian and commercial) trade shows still matter, but do they matter
> for cameras? The lack of substantive releases during CES and the PMA
> point out perhaps that they don't. Canon avoided the CES and various
> electronics trade shows have gone bust. The camera shows will still
> draw crowds (though for what I don't know) but we are seeing more
> releases to the web than any trade shows. Which is a shame in a way
> because you can't touch cameras on the web. The most recent Sony's
> (A850, 500, etc) I saw pre-release at a camera store, not a show.

Maybe several things are happening;

No need to issue new cameras every two weeks.

No need to fit into a fixed show schedule

RichA isn't going to buy, so why show it.

Oh, goodie you saw the A850, and 500 at Henry's.

From: Rich on
"Nomen Nescio" <thefreespeechstore(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:hm9t2s$qk9$1
@freespeech.eternal-september.org:

> "RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
@d2g2000yqa.googlegroups.com...
>>I know that in certain industries (automotive and transportation,
>> civilian and commercial) trade shows still matter, but do they matter
>> for cameras? The lack of substantive releases during CES and the PMA
>> point out perhaps that they don't. Canon avoided the CES and various
>> electronics trade shows have gone bust. The camera shows will still
>> draw crowds (though for what I don't know) but we are seeing more
>> releases to the web than any trade shows. Which is a shame in a way
>> because you can't touch cameras on the web. The most recent Sony's
>> (A850, 500, etc) I saw pre-release at a camera store, not a show.
>>
> Maybe several things are happening;
>
> No need to issue new cameras every two weeks.

Histrionics noted.

> No need to fit into a fixed show schedule

True.

> RichA isn't going to buy, so why show it.

More lunacy.

> Oh, goodie you saw the A850, and 500 at Henry's.

Yes, at a camera store. That says something.