From: Alan on
Hey,

This is the first time I've really used Quicken, so please excuse any
obvious mistakes I may have made. I must admit, I have not done a lot
of Googleing to find a solution to this problem as I'm having trouble
coming up with a search term that returns the answers I need.

Anyway, so I'm having trouble with dealing with TXFR between accounts
in Quicken Personal 2010.

As an example, I have Quicken setup something like this:

Account A - Held at bank 1 - Transaction Bank Account - Current
Balance $1,000
Account B - Held at bank 2 - Savings Bank Account - Current Balance
$5,000
Account C - Held at bank 3 - Credit Card - Current amount owing $500

From all three banks, I download my transactions from the bank's
individual website in .QIF format then import it into Quicken. That's
fine and all goes well.

After importing all three .QIF files, Quicken correctly shows the
balance across all three accounts.

My problem comes up when I attempt to provide more details to each of
the transactions (eg. adding in category information and so on)

I pay off my credit card each month in full from my transaction bank
account, as such, Account A has an entry like:

ACCOUNT A
Date: 01/01/2010
Num: <blank>
Payee: Bank 3 Credit Card Department
Payment: $500

My credit card, similarly has an entry such as:

ACCOUNT C
Date: 01/01/2010
Num: <blank>
Payee: Payment Received - Thankyou
Payment: $500

These details have been automatically entered by bank 1 and 3
respectively, as you'd expect. As of right now, Quicken correctly
lists the balances for both accounts.

I then attempt to go in and "fix" the entries so that they're more
accurate so they now show:

ACCOUNT A:
Date: 01/01/2010
Num: TXFR
Xfer Account: [Account C]
Payment: $500

After modifying the first entry, it doesn't do as I expect and "match"
the transaction to the entry that already exists, but instead creates
a duplicate entry and as a result, throwing out Quicken's balance.
Quicken then has the following recorded:

ACCOUNT A:
Date: 01/01/2010
Num: TXFR
Xfer Account: [Account C]
Payment: $500

ACCOUNT C:
Date: 01/01/2010
Num: TXFR
Xfer Account: [Account A]
Payment: $500

ACCOUNT C:
Date: 01/01/2010
Num: <blank>
Payee: Payment - Thankyou
Payment: $500

To fix this I suppose I could go into account C and delete that final
transaction, but that seems a little silly (and confusing) -- is there
a way for Quicken to identify that these two separate transactions
from two different accounts is actually the one transaction?

It creating an entry like this in Account C would be perfectly
understandable (and useful) if I were manually entering transactions
from my printed bank statement as that final transaction wouldn't yet
exist. But well, that's not the case here.

I get the same problem when I transfer money from my Transaction
account to my Savings account.

Thanks in advance :)
From: John Pollard on
Alan wrote:
> [...]
> Num: TXFR
> Xfer Account: [Account A]
> Payment: $500
>
> ACCOUNT C:
> Date: 01/01/2010
> Num: <blank>
> Payee: Payment - Thankyou
> Payment: $500
>
> To fix this I suppose I could go into account C and delete that final
> transaction, but that seems a little silly (and confusing) -- is there
> a way for Quicken to identify that these two separate transactions
> from two different accounts is actually the one transaction?
>
> It creating an entry like this in Account C would be perfectly
> understandable (and useful) if I were manually entering transactions
> from my printed bank statement as that final transaction wouldn't yet
> exist. But well, that's not the case here.
>
> I get the same problem when I transfer money from my Transaction

See the first two posts by Tod in the following discussion.

https://qlc.intuit.com/post/show_post_full_view/bexv6CnGir3OW4acmYYUkY?fullpage=qna&page=2

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

From: Han on
Alan <alan(a)alanisherwood.id.au> wrote in news:2ca4b487-2501-4c92-b164-
459ac56d044b(a)m26g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

> [...]
> Num: TXFR
> Xfer Account: [Account A]
> Payment: $500
>
> ACCOUNT C:
> Date: 01/01/2010
> Num: <blank>
> Payee: Payment - Thankyou
> Payment: $500
>
> To fix this I suppose I could go into account C and delete that final
> transaction, but that seems a little silly (and confusing) -- is there
> a way for Quicken to identify that these two separate transactions
> from two different accounts is actually the one transaction?
>
> It creating an entry like this in Account C would be perfectly
> understandable (and useful) if I were manually entering transactions
> from my printed bank statement as that final transaction wouldn't yet
> exist. But well, that's not the case here.
>
> I get the same problem when I transfer money from my Transaction

The way I handle this is with a memorized transaction that I let Q
automatically enter 30 days in advance. It is indeed a transfer
transaction between accounts. I edit the amount in one of the accounts
when I get my credit card statement, so I wil know ahead of time how the
upcoming transaction is going to affect my account balances.

If you want to, you can get Quicken to estimate the next amount by
letting it average the last (3 or so, as you choose) payments, but maybe
that is better left for utilities.

--
Best regards
Han
From: Robert Neville on
Alan <alan(a)alanisherwood.id.au> wrote:

> is there
>a way for Quicken to identify that these two separate transactions
>from two different accounts is actually the one transaction?

If you create the single transfer transaction prior to doing the match, the
downloaded transactions will match up.
From: B on
On 1/10/2010 10:03 AM, Robert Neville wrote:
> Alan <alan(a)alanisherwood.id.au> wrote:
>
>> is there
>> a way for Quicken to identify that these two separate transactions
>>from two different accounts is actually the one transaction?
>
> If you create the single transfer transaction prior to doing the match, the
> downloaded transactions will match up.
I agree. When I initiate the credit card payment via the credit card
company website, I also enter the Transfer transaction into Quicken.
One benefit is that my bank account transaction register is always
showing the future balance and I know that the funds are there on that
date to cover the payment. When I do the downloads from the bank site
and from the credit card site they each match up correctly to the
existing register entries.