From: jimbob1975 on
Hi,

I'm trying to transfer my contacts from a Sony Ericsson S700i (locked
on Vodafone) to a Motorola SLVR (locked on O2) with the minimum of
fuss.

I had originally planned to unlock the S700i and use my O2 sim card in
it- but the phone has started shutting itself off so am now thinking I
won't keep on using it after all. I figure my options are:

- Unlock the S700i anyway and use the phone's memory to store the
contacts then copy to the O2 sim card.

- Find a way to transfer the numbers between the two phones directly (I
optimistically tried the send all by bluetooth but no joy).

- Use my PC to store the contacts then copy to the Motorola, but
Motorola doesn't come with any synchronisation software (and I haven't
even got around to using the Sony stuff yet as most of the phone
numbers on my PC I don't want on my mobile anyway).

- Find a shop/service etc that does this?

Any ideas/tips/urls much appreciated... If the original plan of
unlocking the S700 is the most reasonable who/where/how is the best way
of doing this - seem to be a lot of sites offering the service but very
little information on who's reliable.

FWIW I got the SLVR as part of the carphone warehouse 'free PSP' deal
and it's hardly blown me away.. (Though the PSP is very nice)

thanks in advance,

JB

From: Jonathan Morris on
Very few phones seem to accept a whole phonebook (VCF) files. Sony
Ericsson's all do, so changing from one SE phone/smartphone is easy
(even the photos go over) but I've never been able to do it with a
Nokia or Motorola.

Jonathan

From: Daniel @ Mobile -X- TREME on

"Jonathan Morris" <j.morris(a)jmcomms.com> wrote in message
> Very few phones seem to accept a whole phonebook (VCF) files. Sony
> Ericsson's all do, so changing from one SE phone/smartphone is easy
> (even the photos go over) but I've never been able to do it with a
> Nokia or Motorola.
>
> Jonathan

It should be possble,

Can you not try to read the contacts and export them to Windows Contact's or
the Address Book - if not what about a CSV (Comma Seperated File) and then
import using the motorola s/w.

--
br,
Danny - Dr. Nokia

From: Jonathan Morris on
Daniel @ Mobile -X- TREME wrote:
> Can you not try to read the contacts and export them to Windows Contact's or
> the Address Book - if not what about a CSV (Comma Seperated File) and then
> import using the motorola s/w.

You can do it via sync software on a PC (or maybe a Mac) but Sony
Ericsson users can send the phonebook, picture phonebook images
included, from the phone to any other SE phone - no computer ever needs
to be involved. When you upgrade, or simply change from phone to phone,
it's excellent.

I cannot understand why other handsets don't recognise entire
phonebooks. Some will accept the file but only extract the first entry.
Series 60 users can get software to accept the VCF file and add all
entries, but S40 and Motorola phones can't. In fact, I don't know if
any other manufacturers allow it.

Another option is SyncML with a service that lets you keep all phones
sync'd up, but I doubt many people even know about this - let alone how
to get set up.

Regards,

Jonathan

From: JB on
In the end I Bluetoothed the contacts I wanted to keep one-by-one... a
bit laborious but I had a long train journey to kill and it was a good
exercise to actually weed out all the junk numbers I had floating
around. One problem with this is that it reversed all the names for
some reason, so they appear on the Motorola as 'Surname Forename'.

If i'd checked back here a bit sooner and seen the first reply I would
have used an old unlocked SE Z600 I have lying around to store the
numbers before putting them onto the SIM- but missed it before going
on my travels.

Am considering switching back to the old Z600 permanently as i'm really
not getting along with Motorola's UI.

Cheers for your suggestions,

JB