From: Bart Steur on
The image underneath (lower in z-order) is a Kodak Image Control. It
contains a Multi Image TIFF. I place highlights (annotations) on the tiff
image. The highlights mark some textparts that need to be typed into the
textbox(es) in the TRANSPARENT picturebox control. All I want to know, can
you make a picturebox transparent. I've tried the way you can you to make a
Form transparent (using SetLayeredWindowAttributes), but that doesn't work
for a Picturebox.

Anyone?

From: Mike Williams on

> The image underneath (lower in z-order) is a Kodak Image Control.
> It contains a Multi Image TIFF. I place highlights (annotations) on the
> tiff image. The highlights mark some textparts that need to be typed
> into the textbox(es) in the TRANSPARENT picturebox control. All
> I want to know, can you make a picturebox transparent. I've tried
> the way you can you to make a Form transparent (using SetLayered
> WindowAttributes), but that doesn't work for a Picturebox.

I've written code years ago to make picture boxes transparent, but it
doesn't seem to work on XP. There is probably another way of doing it, but I
haven't got time to look into it at the moment. By the way, why did you not
take up Jan's suggestion of using the Picture Box (rather than the Form) as
the Kodak Image Control's container?Another way out would be to write code
that checks at run time what controls are in the Picture Box and then moves
then into the Form instead at the appropriate positions and then gets rid of
the Picture Box altogether (or at least gets rid of its visual presence by
setting its Visible property to False). That would certainly achieve the
effect you seem to want (where the picture box is really only acting as a
"design time" container). Try the following. The example is for a borderless
picture box (which you could set to whatever backcolour you wanted so that
you could easily see it in the IDE). It would, of course, also be possible
to modify the code so as to automatically work correctly on picture boxes
with borders as well. Anyway, try the following code (which assumes the name
of your picture box is Picture1):

Mike

Private Sub Form_Load()
Dim oldmode As Long, ctl As Control
oldmode = Me.ScaleMode
Me.ScaleMode = Picture1.ScaleMode
On Error Resume Next
For Each ctl In Controls
If ctl.Container.Name = "Picture1" Then
Set ctl.Container = Me
ctl.Move ctl.Left + Picture1.Left, ctl.Top + Picture1.Top
End If
Next ctl
Picture1.Visible = False
Me.ScaleMode = oldmode
End Sub

From: J French on
On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:57:33 +0200, "Bart Steur" <solnews(a)xs4all.nl>
wrote:

>The image underneath (lower in z-order) is a Kodak Image Control. It
>contains a Multi Image TIFF. I place highlights (annotations) on the tiff
>image. The highlights mark some textparts that need to be typed into the
>textbox(es) in the TRANSPARENT picturebox control. All I want to know, can
>you make a picturebox transparent. I've tried the way you can you to make a
>Form transparent (using SetLayeredWindowAttributes), but that doesn't work
>for a Picturebox.

Have you considered ditching the PictureBox and using a UserControl
instead ?

A compiled in UserControl certainly can be transparent
- it also makes a good container

Basically it is a Picturebox on steroids
From: Bart Steur on
Now we're talking

That's certainly a great idea.

Thx

Bart

From: Bart Steur on
No, that's not what I meant. Sorry. It should be semi-transparent, something
like a fade or drop shadow. With SetLayeredWindowAttributes you can set the
transparency from 0 (fully transparent) to 255 (Fully visible) Thats what I
need for my picturebox. Sorry for setting you guys on the wrong track

B.