From: nmm1 on
In article <hb56a5$g4e$5(a)usenet01.boi.hp.com>,
Rick Jones <rick.jones2(a)hp.com> wrote:

>Baths in fountains of youth were readily available from any number of
>sources, along with various snake oils, potions, elixirs and devices
>before the advent of wide-spread regulation requiring demonstration of
>safety and efficacy. In some cases, if they can be classified as
>"dietary supplements" (or somesuch) they remain.

In the IT area, of course, there are no such inconvenient regulations.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: Stephen Sprunk on
Andy "Krazy" Glew wrote:
> A significant portion of my luggage is taken up by power supplies.
>
> What I want to take: 2 power supplies, 1 for each of my laptop PCs, work
> and personal; 2 smaller power supplies, 1 for each of my phones, work
> and personal; 1 big supply for my CPAP medical device.
> I love the idea of "universal" chargers like the iGo, so much so that I
> have two, and probably need to buy a third for my new devices. They
> aren't as universal as one might hope. Unless one adapter can plug in 2
> PCs and 2 phones simultaneously, you have the "Gotta remember to swap
> chargers" problem. Many such universal chargers can charge a cell phone
> and a PC simultaneously.

Get phones with USB power connectors; that way, you can charge both of
them off your laptop, which only needs a single power supply. Two USB
cables take up a lot less space and weigh less than one or two phone
power supplies.

I don't know if there are any "universal" chargers that can handle two
laptops simultaneously; I've never needed to look into that.

> a) "integrity" - the desire to have only one device of any form
> factor.

I've never heard that definition for the term. "Efficiency",
"simplicity", or "eliminating redundancy" seem a better fit.

> Thwarted by security. Desire for companies to own the laptop you work
> on.

Image your work laptop, copy it to your personal laptop and run it in a
VM. Copy the image back to the work laptop when you return home and
erase the image. They'll never know.

From: Ken Hagan on
On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 07:23:15 +0100, Stephen Sprunk <stephen(a)sprunk.org>
wrote:

> Image your work laptop, copy it to your personal laptop and run it in a
> VM. Copy the image back to the work laptop when you return home and
> erase the image. They'll never know.

I think that depends on how similar the CPUs are in the host machines. As
far as I'm aware, all the VMMs for PCs create virtual hardware for
everything *except* the CPU, which is visible to the guest pretty much
as-is. Whether the guest cares is another matter, but if we're talking
Microsoft then Windows Activation will throw a wobbly if you appear to
change the CPU twice a week.