From: il barbi on
"Al" <albundy2(a)mailinator.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

This site looks pretty good:
http://www.cartridgedepot.com.au/dl/tech/HP_212227285657.pdf
That #21 only holds 5ml of ink. Not much to play with there. If you
over fill the black a bit you can just let it drain while if you over
fill the color you can turn the whole thing into a dark green cart.
that's what happens to me now - does it mean the 3 colors have mixed? I
don't think, I guess there are 3 separated tanks in the cartridge, isn't it?
il barbi

From: il barbi on
"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp(a)mvps.org> ha scritto nel messaggio

> Refilling HP21 & HP22 cartridges
> into the search area, I'd bet you'll get something helpful. I just looked
> and there are utube videos and more.

you're right but I have read dozens of tutorials in the net and in the ink
refill manufacturers' manuals - I just don't know all what can go wrong (you
know it'll surely happen according to wellknown Murphy's law)
for instance, once I read there is some "air hole" in the cartridge but
actually it is fully covered with adhesive slice
then what is the best method to fill the sponge tank? to push the syringe to
the end and to slowly withdraw it?
and usually when I wait refilling until some white lines appear in printing,
I'm likely to have problems
il barbi

From: TJ on
il barbi wrote:
> "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp(a)mvps.org> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Refilling HP21 & HP22 cartridges
>> into the search area, I'd bet you'll get something helpful. I just looked
>> and there are utube videos and more.
>>
> you're right but I have read dozens of tutorials in the net and in the ink
> refill manufacturers' manuals - I just don't know all what can go wrong (you
> know it'll surely happen according to wellknown Murphy's law)
> for instance, once I read there is some "air hole" in the cartridge but
> actually it is fully covered with adhesive slice
> then what is the best method to fill the sponge tank? to push the syringe to
> the end and to slowly withdraw it?
> and usually when I wait refilling until some white lines appear in printing,
> I'm likely to have problems
> il barbi

This information is for the #56 and 57 cartridges, but AFAIK, yours are
constructed the same.

The adhesive label doesn't seal the cartridge. If you look under the
label, you'll see several shallow channels leading to the edge of where
the label goes. Those channels let the air back into the ink tank. One
of the problems you can have is if you overfill enough to flood those
channels, thus plugging them when the ink dries. That is also the reason
you do not plug the hole you make in the label with the syringe.

Overfilling to the point of flooding is also the usual reason for color
contamination in the tricolor cartridge. Another way that can happen is
to use the same syringe/needle for each color without thoroughly
cleaning it between colors.

The best method I've found is to push the needle to the bottom, withdraw
it a little, then SLOWLY inject the ink.

TJ
From: il barbi on
"TJ" <TJ(a)noneofyour.business> ha scritto nel messaggio

> The adhesive label doesn't seal the cartridge. If you look under the
> label, you'll see several shallow channels leading to the edge of where
> the label goes. Those channels let the air back into the ink tank. One of
> the problems you can have is if you overfill enough to flood those
> channels, thus plugging them when the ink dries. That is also the reason
> you do not plug the hole you make in the label with the syringe.

this is a useful point since, following refill instructions, I removed the
adhesive label and replaced it with scotch tape only after refilling, so I
didn't let any hole free for air. Do you know what is likely to happen if
there is no hole for air?

> Overfilling to the point of flooding is also the usual reason for color
> contamination in the tricolor cartridge

ok but I can't understand how the flooded ink can reenter the cartridge
il barbi

From: Arthur Entlich on
The air holes are to allow for displacement of the ink as it is used.

They have to be there to allow the ink to empty out the bottom. If you
block them, you get a vacuum condition in the cartridge, and this could
be your "bubbles"... it might actually be ink starvation.

The reason the air holes are covered with the adhesive label and there
is a labyrinth under them is to control the air flow to lessen it to try
to limit the ink from drying out, or oxidizing the ink formulas.

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/