From: elephant on
I'm trying to install a new hard drive. Setting it up as a slave to my
current "C" drive. I connect the power cable and the 25 pin data
cable. After hook up, the computer won't power up. It starts up and
after 2 seconds, shuts back down. Unplugging the new drive and the PC
boots up like normal.

The power and data cable can only be plugged in one way, so I don't have
them backwards.

Any idea what is causing the power to shut down right away?

Not that it matters since I can't boot, but I'm running
Windows XP home addition with SP3.
From: sandy58 on
On May 29, 6:26 am, eleph...(a)the-zoo.com wrote:
> I'm trying to install a new hard drive.  Setting it up as a slave to my
> current "C" drive.   I connect the power cable and the 25 pin data
> cable.  After hook up, the computer won't power up.  It starts up and
> after 2 seconds, shuts back down.   Unplugging the new drive and the PC
> boots up like normal.
>
> The power and data cable can only be plugged in one way, so I don't have
> them backwards.
>
> Any idea what is causing the power to shut down right away?
>
> Not that it matters since I can't boot, but I'm running
> Windows XP home addition with SP3.

25 pin data cable??? Wrong! You either have an IDE (ribbon) cable or a
SATA cable. You have jumpers (five choices) between the power "in" and
IDE"? If you use the middle plug in the IDE, that is slave, so you set
the jumpers accordingly. CS is "Cable Select" which will/should work
in this case. "SL" is slave jumper. There should be a small sketch on
the Hard Drive showing jumper positions for whatever needs.
From: sandy58 on
On May 29, 6:26 am, eleph...(a)the-zoo.com wrote:
> I'm trying to install a new hard drive.  Setting it up as a slave to my
> current "C" drive.   I connect the power cable and the 25 pin data
> cable.  After hook up, the computer won't power up.  It starts up and
> after 2 seconds, shuts back down.   Unplugging the new drive and the PC
> boots up like normal.
>
> The power and data cable can only be plugged in one way, so I don't have
> them backwards.
>
> Any idea what is causing the power to shut down right away?
>
> Not that it matters since I can't boot, but I'm running
> Windows XP home addition with SP3.

See "working end" of HDD ....
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=wi6fqx&s=6
From: VanguardLH on
elephant(a)the-zoo.com wrote:

> I'm trying to install a new hard drive. Setting it up as a slave to my
> current "C" drive. I connect the power cable and the 25 pin data
> cable. After hook up, the computer won't power up. It starts up and
> after 2 seconds, shuts back down. Unplugging the new drive and the PC
> boots up like normal.
>
> The power and data cable can only be plugged in one way, so I don't have
> them backwards.
>
> Any idea what is causing the power to shut down right away?
>
> Not that it matters since I can't boot, but I'm running
> Windows XP home addition with SP3.

A weak power supply might not be able to handle the additional load.
Leave the original hard disk jumpered the way it was before and just
connect the power to the 2nd (new) hard disk. Don't connect the data
cable. Does the host stay powered up?

You never mentioned what type of hard disks you have. Since SATA drives
don't need to be jumpered regarding master/slave, the assumption is you
have IDE hard disks.

You never mentioned how the "C" drive was jumpered. You'll probably
have to jumper it to be the master with the presence of a slave disk.
Different hard disk manufacturers have different ways of jumpering their
drives. Since only you know what are the brand and models of the hard
disks that you have, go read the manuals for those hard disks to see how
to properly jumper them.