From: Jim on
My computer will do a "save settings" then "shutting down" but will never
turn off unless I hold in the start button.

No tasks are running at the time

Suggestions please!

From: Unknown on
You apparently have a program/process not shutting down properly. Have you
checked task manager for
applications/processes? Have you tried shutting down any virus programs and
then try to shut down?

From: Db on
you might try looking
into the bios and ensure
advance power
management settings
are enabled.

db���`�...�><)))�>

DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This NNTP newsgroup is evolving to:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

From: Jose on
On May 29, 7:16 am, "Jim" <jrwo...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> My computer will do a "save settings" then "shutting down" but will never
> turn off unless I hold in the start button.
>
> No tasks are running at the time
>
> Suggestions please!

Do this:

Please provide additional information about your system:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select
All, Copy and then paste
the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User
Name), and whatever appears to
be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted
information.

This will minimize back and forth Q&A and eliminate guesswork.

Then browse this WWW page,check out the things that apply to you ad
report back what you find when looking at your system:

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

Or, you could just try some things that might work and maybe you will
get lucky.
From: Jim on
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name INTEL8400
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model P35-DS3L
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~3000 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F7, 11/29/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name deleted
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 2.45 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 7.08 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I might also mention that this is a dual boot system with Windows 7 and that
also has a shut down problem.