From: petergoode on
I was not sure in which forum to post this question, so please just let me
know if I need to move it elsewhere.

I noted about a month ago that IE 8 was loading very slowly on my XP Pro SP3
system. I finally got around to checking Event Viewer, and noted two
separate problems appearing at about the same time.

The first per applications is a recurring crypt32 error, with this
additional explanation: Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root
list sequence number from:
http://www.download.windows,update.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt with error: This network connection does not exist.

I have absolutely no idea what this means, or how to fix it. IE does load
after waiting about 20 seconds, but I would guess it would load normally if I
could address this.

On the other hand, at about the same time, system events began to list
repetitive "SideBySide" error messages as well with further description:
"Generate Activation Context failed for
c:\progra~1\Citrix\ICACLI~1\MFC80.DLL. Refereence error message: The
operation completed successfully.

So, maybe somehow I ended up with a couple corrupted files at once?

Maybe system restore would be a good idea?

Thanks greatly if anyone can shed light on this.

--
Peter
From: FrankV on
See if your System Restore has a restore before the errors started. The run
it.

Frank

From: SC Tom on

"petergoode" <petergoode(a)discussions-microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I was not sure in which forum to post this question, so please just let me
> know if I need to move it elsewhere.
>
> I noted about a month ago that IE 8 was loading very slowly on my XP Pro
> SP3
> system. I finally got around to checking Event Viewer, and noted two
> separate problems appearing at about the same time.
>
> The first per applications is a recurring crypt32 error, with this
> additional explanation: Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root
> list sequence number from:
> http://www.download.windows,update.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt
> with error: This network connection does not exist.
>
> I have absolutely no idea what this means, or how to fix it. IE does load
> after waiting about 20 seconds, but I would guess it would load normally
> if I
> could address this.
>
> On the other hand, at about the same time, system events began to list
> repetitive "SideBySide" error messages as well with further description:
> "Generate Activation Context failed for
> c:\progra~1\Citrix\ICACLI~1\MFC80.DLL. Refereence error message: The
> operation completed successfully.
>
> So, maybe somehow I ended up with a couple corrupted files at once?
>
> Maybe system restore would be a good idea?
>
> Thanks greatly if anyone can shed light on this.
>

> --
> Peter

Are you running Zone Alarm 9.1.507.000? If so remove it and re-install
9.1.008.000. If Add/Remove Programs doesn't uninstall it completely, you may
need to use the ZA removal tool
http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/support/cpes_clean.exe.
--
SC Tom

From: ju.c on
This is an "Information" message, not an error:
> On the other hand, at about the same time, system events began to list
> repetitive "SideBySide" error messages as well with further description:
> "Generate Activation Context failed for
> c:\progra~1\Citrix\ICACLI~1\MFC80.DLL. Reference error message: The
> operation completed successfully.

"Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence"
1. Open Add/Remove Programs.
2. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
3. Check the "Update Root Certificates" box, and then continue with the Windows Components Wizard.

Also, some certificates may have expired and need updates. See:
Windows root certificate program members
(Download available: Update for Root Certificates)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931125

ju.c