From: Paul Branon on
Hi Guys,

http://www.wuppdich.com/combined_error.txt

(I'm providing a separate link to my df -h and zfs list output because
there is
too much of it to put in an email.)

I suspect I'm missing some zfs mountpoints from within my localzone.
The localzone loopback
mounts globalzone's filesystem. Both are supposed to mount rpool/opt
upon /
and rpool/output01 upon /output01 respectively.

The global zone appears to be doing this just fine. But the local zone
can't do it
and appears to be mounting its /opt and /output01 filesystems on /

I'm currently working through through the issues and would appreciate
inciteful comments.

Regards,

PaulB
From: Ian Collins on
On 08/ 9/10 05:35 AM, Paul Branon wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I suspect I'm missing some zfs mountpoints from within my localzone.
> The localzone loopback
> mounts globalzone's filesystem. Both are supposed to mount rpool/opt
> upon /
> and rpool/output01 upon /output01 respectively.
>

> The global zone appears to be doing this just fine. But the local zone
> can't do it
> and appears to be mounting its /opt and /output01 filesystems on /
>
> I'm currently working through through the issues and would appreciate
> inciteful comments.

Post the zone's config.

--
Ian Collins
From: Paul Branon on
On Aug 8, 8:51 pm, Ian Collins <ian-n...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/ 9/10 05:35 AM, Paul Branon wrote:
>
> > Hi Guys,
>
> > I suspect I'm missing some zfs mountpoints from within my localzone.
> > The localzone loopback
> > mounts globalzone's filesystem. Both are supposed to mount rpool/opt
> > upon /
> > and rpool/output01 upon /output01 respectively.
>
> > The global zone appears to be doing this just fine. But the local zone
> > can't do it
> > and appears to be mounting its /opt and /output01 filesystems on /
>
> > I'm currently working through through the issues and would appreciate
> > inciteful comments.
>
> Post the zone's config.
>
> --
> Ian Collins

Hi Ian,

The info you need is all here:
http://www.wuppdich.com/combined_error.txt

From: Ian Collins on
On 08/ 9/10 07:54 AM, Paul Branon wrote:
> On Aug 8, 8:51 pm, Ian Collins<ian-n...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On 08/ 9/10 05:35 AM, Paul Branon wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Guys,
>>
>>> I suspect I'm missing some zfs mountpoints from within my localzone.
>>> The localzone loopback
>>> mounts globalzone's filesystem. Both are supposed to mount rpool/opt
>>> upon /
>>> and rpool/output01 upon /output01 respectively.
>>
>>> The global zone appears to be doing this just fine. But the local zone
>>> can't do it
>>> and appears to be mounting its /opt and /output01 filesystems on /
>>
>>> I'm currently working through through the issues and would appreciate
>>> inciteful comments.
>>
>> Post the zone's config.
>
> Hi Ian,
>
> The info you need is all here:
> http://www.wuppdich.com/combined_error.txt

You would have been better off posting it here.

Anyway, I don't see your problem. You have one dataset assigned to the
zone, which has to exist otherwise the zone install would have failed.

add dataset
set name=rpool/zonedata/localzone01
end

You will not be able to see any other ZFS filesystems created in the
global zone. If you want to see them as regular filesystems, loop-back
mount them.

You have one filesystem loop-back mounted:

add fs
set dir=/output01
set special=/output01/zone
set type=lofs
set options=[rw]
end

That appears to be OK as well.

--
Ian Collins
From: Paul Branon on
Hi Ian,

Yes, it's a really difficult problem to spot. But, put simply, both
the global zone and the local zone have various partitions which act
as mountpoints for the zfs filesystems and they are

(a)
rpool/home mounted on /home
rpool/opt mounted on /opt
rpool/output1 mounted on /output01
etc, etc,etc
you see them all if you look at the output here:
http://www.wuppdich.com/combined_error.txt

(b)
But, the local zone is behaving badly and not mounting its /opt or /
output01
filesystems properly. (And I think I know why. I think it's because it
has not been
configured to mount rpool/opt on /opt or rpool/output01 on /output01
(ie the guy who wrote the scripts forgot that bit, and has been doing
that bit by
hand, I guess.) But the scripts were passed to me and I'd never run
them before
and someone said "hey. those new local zones don't mount /opt or /
output01
as separate partitions they just write that data straight to /
(which since on the globalzone is zonepath /zoneroot/localzone01/root/
will amount to /zoneroot/localzone01/root/output01 and
/zoneroot/localzone01/root/opt respectively.

And what he said was, hey! That data shouldn't be there. It should be
somewhere else, (though he didn't say where else it should be.) But,
looking at all of the other localzone01 mountpoints would suggest that
the data should have been written to rpool/zonedata/serverdb01/opt
rpool/zonedata/serverdb/output01 respectively, (following the
convention of where the other rpool/zonedata filesystem data is
being written to.

But when I think this through it occurs to me that rpool/ data in
the localzone is all mounted loopback from the global zone from
/zoneroot/localzone01

So it makes me wonder if any data was actually written in the wrong
place at all, or if in reality all the guy can legitimately complain
about
is that the filesystems are being mounted in the wrong place in the
local zone. And the mountpoints need to be fixed.

I'm not 100% sure which of us is right, me or him.

Cheers,

Paulb