From: Brian Williams on
Hello,

Urgent as my client is leaving the country tomorrow morning and needs this
system.

I have a client laptop run XP Pro SP2, we use the SonicWall group VPN, and
have two other laptops using the same SonicWall group VPN software.

I can connect, my SonicWall adapter gets a SBSserver.local suffic then gets
a local IP address. I can ping the server, and from the server I can ping the
client.

When I try to access network files and/or open Outlook it tries and then
fails. I have to specific entries in the client Event Viewer (but now log or
errors on the server event viewer).

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: DnsApi
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11194
Date: 2/24/2006
Time: 5:38:00 AM
User: N/A
Computer: WKS10
The system failed to update and remove host (A) resource records (RRs) for
network adapter
with settings:

Adapter Name : {BA58CAE7-C7D9-41F2-BCB4-E5ACD15B2833}
Host Name : wks10
Primary Domain Suffix : SBSserver.local
DNS server list :
192.168.1.10
Sent update to server : 192.1.1.1
IP Address(es) :
192.168.1.28

The reason for this failure is because the DNS server sent the update
either (a) does not support the DNS dynamic update protocol, or (b) the
authoritative zone for the DNS domain name specified in these A RRs does not
currently accept DNS dynamic updates.

Data:
0000: b4 05 00 00 ´...

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: W32Time
Event Category: None
Event ID: 18
Date: 2/24/2006
Time: 5:37:53 AM
User: N/A
Computer: WKS10
The time provider NtpClient failed to establish a trust relationship between
this computer and the SBSserver.local domain in order to securely synchronize
time. NtpClient will try again in 15 minutes. The error was: The trust
relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed.
(0x800706FD)

From: "Crina Li" on
Hi Williams,

Thank you for posting in SBS newsgroup.

I am sorry for the delayed response due to weekend. Please understand that
the newsgroups are staffed weekdays by Microsoft Support professionals to
answer your systems and applications questions. Your understanding is
greatly appreciated!

From the description, I understand the issue to be: you can not access
network resource and outlook when you create VPN using the SonicWall group
VPN. If I have misunderstood your concerns, please do not hesitate to let
me know.

To narrow down the problem, would you please help me collect the following
information?

1. Check if the Windows XP client is pointing to the SBS 2003 server as its
ONLY DNS server
2. Can the other 2 laptops connect to SBS using the same VPN software?
3. Is everything OK if you manually create a VPN connection to the SBS
server? To do so, see:

305550How to configure a VPN connection to your corporate network in
Windows XP Professional
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;305550

314076 How to configure a connection to a virtual private network (VPN) in
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314076

4. Get the IPCONFIG /ALL results when Creating VPN on the laptop and SBS.
5. Make sure that you have selected Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP and the
Computer Browser service on problematic computer and SBS as following:

1) Right click My Network Places and select Properties.
2) Right click Local Area Connection (client computer)/Network Connection
(server) and select Properties.
3) Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and high light it. Click Properties.
4) On the General tab, click Advanced. Go to WINS tab.
5) Make sure that you select Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.
6) Click OK twice and close all the windows.

For detailed information, please refer to the following KB article:

827603 Remote users cannot see a Windows Small Business Server 2003
computer in
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=827603

318030 You cannot access shared files and folders or browse computers in
the
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=318030

6. Please disable ICF in your problematic computer. To do so:

1) Click Start, and then click My Network Places.
2) Under Network Tasks, click View Network Connections.
3) Right-click the connection that you use for the Internet, and then click
Properties.
4) Click the Advanced tab.
5) Click to clear the "Protect my computer and network by limiting or
preventing access to this computer from the Internet" check box.

For detailed information, please refer to the following KB article:

298804 Internet firewalls can prevent browsing and file sharing
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=298804

Also I recommend you follow the steps below to configure VPN access on an
SBS environment:

1. Run CEICW, follow the wizard and select Enable firewall and then make
sure Virtual Private Networking (VPN) is selected in the Services
Configuration page. And make sure you have typed the public FQDN of the SBS
server on the Web Server Certificate page.
2. Run Remote Access Wizard in Server Management\Internet and
E-mail\Configure Remote Access, and select VPN access in the Remote Access
Method page. After finishing this wizard, RRAS is configured to allow
inbound VPN access, and it can assign IP addresses to the VPN clients by
using DHCP.

Note: When we run the remote access wizard to set up the VPN service, we
need to input the public IP address or the public FQDN of the SBS server.
We need to make sure that the address can be accessed from the internet.

3. On the VPN client, go to https://publicFQDN/remote, clear I'm using a
public or shared computer, log in and download Connection Manager.
4. Install Connection Manager on the VPN client.
5. Is there a hardware router installed in front of the SBS server? If so,
ensure that the port forwarding for TCP 1723 and GRE port (protocol number
47) are opened. PPTP VPN is negotiating a connection on TCP port 1723 and
send data to and from the PPTP server using the GRE protocol (IP Protocol
47, 0x2F if you are looking in Network Monitor). You should open port 1723
on the router and also make sure IP Protocol 47 is allowed.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any further concerns.

I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Crina Li (MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
|| From: "=?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4gV2lsbGlhbXM=?="
<BrianWilliams(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
| Subject: Troubleshooting client VPN : Urgent
| Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 06:29:28 -0800
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
| |

From: Brian Williams on
Thank you for the response.

I took the laptop to the office and plugged it in to LAN directly, it took
about 3 or 4 minutes to finally log in, then after logging once I was able to
go offsite and access the network again via the Sonicwall VPN.

I'm not sure what it was, a Global Policy Update (although I'm not aware of
any changes we've made to the netork)?

Thanks,
Brian

From: "Crina Li" on
Hi Brian,

Thanks for your update.

Because the issue has disappeared, I think it may be more difficult to find
the root cause. The issue may be caused by the name resolution. The network
setting of laptop will be reconfigured by SBS when it is put in the LAN of
SBS. The DNS setting will be saved in the cache on laptop and it will work
even if you go offsite.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

> [...]

newsreader,
| > please "Reply to Group" so that others may learn and benefit from your
| > issue.
| >
| > Microsoft engineers can only focus on one issue per thread. Although we
| > provide other information for your reference, we recommend you post
| > different incidents in different threads to keep the thread clean. In
doing
| > so, it will ensure your issues are resolved in a timely manner.
| >
| > For urgent issues, you may want to contact Microsoft CSS directly.
Please
| > check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
| >
| > Any input or comments in this thread are highly appreciated.
| >
| > =====================================================

rights.
| > --------------------
| > <BrianWilliams(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
| > | |
| > | Hello,
| > |
| > | Urgent as my client is leaving the country tomorrow morning and needs
| > this
| > | system.
| > |
| > | I have a client laptop run XP Pro SP2, we use the SonicWall group
VPN,
| > and
| > | have two other laptops using the same SonicWall group VPN software.
| > |
| > | I can connect, my SonicWall adapter gets a SBSserver.local suffic
then
| > gets
| > | a local IP address. I can ping the server, and from the server I can
ping
| > the
| > | client.
| > |
| > | When I try to access network files and/or open Outlook it tries and
then
| > | fails. I have to specific entries in the client Event Viewer (but now
log
| > or
| > | errors on the server event viewer).
| > |
| > | Event Type: Warning
| > | Event Source: DnsApi
| > | Event Category: None
| > | Event ID: 11194
| > | Date: 2/24/2006
| > | Time: 5:38:00 AM
| > | User: N/A
| > | Computer: WKS10
| > | The system failed to update and remove host (A) resource records
(RRs)
| > for
| > | network adapter
| > | with settings:
| > |
| > | Adapter Name : {BA58CAE7-C7D9-41F2-BCB4-E5ACD15B2833}
| > | Host Name : wks10
| > | Primary Domain Suffix : SBSserver.local
| > | DNS server list :
| > | 192.168.1.10
| > | Sent update to server : 192.1.1.1
| > | IP Address(es) :
| > | 192.168.1.28
| > |
| > | The reason for this failure is because the DNS server sent the
update
| > | either (a) does not support the DNS dynamic update protocol, or (b)
the
| > | authoritative zone for the DNS domain name specified in these A RRs
does
| > not
| > | currently accept DNS dynamic updates.
| > |
| > | For more information, see Help and Support Center at
| > | http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
| > | Data:
| > | 0000: b4 05 00 00 ´...
| > |
| > | Event Type: Warning
| > | Event Source: W32Time
| > | Event Category: None
| > | Event ID: 18
| > | Date: 2/24/2006
| > | Time: 5:37:53 AM
| > | User: N/A
| > | Computer: WKS10
| > | The time provider NtpClient failed to establish a trust relationship
| > between
| > | this computer and the SBSserver.local domain in order to securely
| > synchronize
| > | time. NtpClient will try again in 15 minutes. The error was: The
trust
| > | relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed.
| > | (0x800706FD)
| > |