From: jh on
Just to be sure: Is it possible to login from a _remote_ machine to SQL
Server using Trusted Connection _without_ a Active Directory account?

The story... I have a workgroup build with 3 PCs only. The first PC has
installed SQL Server 2008 Express. I need to connect from other PCs with
Trusted Connection. The message I get when connecting is: The login is from
an untrusted domain and cannot be used with Windows authentication. Any
chance to login (windows authentication) without a domain controller?

Jacek

From: Erland Sommarskog on
jh (NIE_SPAMUJ_jh(a)radio.kielce.pl) writes:
> Just to be sure: Is it possible to login from a _remote_ machine to SQL
> Server using Trusted Connection _without_ a Active Directory account?
>
> The story... I have a workgroup build with 3 PCs only. The first PC has
> installed SQL Server 2008 Express. I need to connect from other PCs with
> Trusted Connection. The message I get when connecting is: The login is
> from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with Windows authentication.
> Any chance to login (windows authentication) without a domain
> controller?

Yes, it is possible to do Windows authentication in a workgroup, but it
can be a battle.

To start with, you must have the same login and password on both machines.
There is also a Group Policy setting that needs to be set to Classic.

But I have never seen the error message you quote. The group-policy
setting eluded me for a long time, but I only got the message "is not
associated with a trusted connection". Then again, that was not SQL 2008;
maybe they have updated the error message.

Links for SQL Server Books Online: