From: Larry on
s the writer suppose to run in DMA mode or PIO (as mine is ) included a
pick. Dvd-rom master, dDVD writer Slave. If Dma how do you get to change
and or stay DMA?
Thanks Larry

Sorry if this posts twice
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> There was suppose to be a pict to

Not on Usenet there isn't. Even if you can post an attachment, it's
bad form to do so in groups that are not identified as "binary"
groups.

To address your problem, look at the appropriate IDE channel in Device
Manager. From there you can change the operating mode, and it should
be DMA.

If you can't change the setting, or it does not change after a reboot
cycle, Windows has detected too many controller errors and has forced
the drive into PIO mode for more reliable operation. An easy way to
fix this is to replace or examine the cable, and then delete the
afflicted IDE channel from Device Manager. Reboot and let Windows do
its hardware detection routine.

William
From: Larry on
"William R. Walsh" <wm_walsh(a)hotmail.com> wrote in news:5fd5049f-a018-
4c25-895a-c3e9c0f3a0a7(a)y11g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

> Hi!
>
>> There was suppose to be a pict to
>
> Not on Usenet there isn't. Even if you can post an attachment, it's
> bad form to do so in groups that are not identified as "binary"
> groups.
>
> To address your problem, look at the appropriate IDE channel in Device
> Manager. From there you can change the operating mode, and it should
> be DMA.
>
> If you can't change the setting, or it does not change after a reboot
> cycle, Windows has detected too many controller errors and has forced
> the drive into PIO mode for more reliable operation. An easy way to
> fix this is to replace or examine the cable, and then delete the
> afflicted IDE channel from Device Manager. Reboot and let Windows do
> its hardware detection routine.
>
> William

Thanks for the tips!. Ordered a new drive lite on. On the install should
be on the end of the cable?, i have read were it does not matter and it
does matter and to set master an slave jumpers an not use Cable Select.

Thanks again.
Larry
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> Thanks for the tips!. Ordered a new drive lite on. On the install should
> be on the end of the cable?

Make your newest drive the "master" if you plan to hard-wire things as
opposed to using cable select.

If you have only the one drive now and plan to keep it, move that one
down to the open position on the cable (and the lower drive bay). Put
the new drive in as the topmost bay/position, and per Dell's
implementation of cable select (as well as almost everyone else's) it
will be the master.

You can manually jumper the drives if you want, or if you find that
you're having trouble. I've never had trouble using cable select in
Dell systems that were set that way from the factory...so that's what
I do.

William