From: Dave on
Have Dell precision workstation 390, about 3 years old.
Running XP Prof sp 3 . Using Office 2003 supplied by Dell.

On Jun 26 I came across an offer from Microsoft : free trial
of Office Prof 2010. Downloaded and installed it.

Could not get it working as I hoped. Tried to open my
2003 Word to complete a project due within 24 hours.

Message came up
Installation Error : File not Found
A required installation file SKU113.CAB could not be found
Original Installation Source Required.

To my horror 2003 Excel gave same message.
Even Outlook is affected.

Uninstalled Office 2010 and rebooted : problem persists
with Word, Excel and Outlook.

Sent email to Microsoft Office 2010 online Store, who
provided the software. They assured me it did not overwrite
anything. Tried to contact MS support : they want $ 89 per
hour for help. Finally today reached the Online Store by
phone. The operator said he was not technically trained and
could not help. Transfered me to MS tech support. Explained
whole problem. They would only help if I paid for it : to
undo what their software had done to my system. Only other
option they gave was to contact Dell. This system was sold
three years ago and Dell had nothing to do with it.

I can now get Word & Excel up by repeatedly clicking
on the error messages, but what a pain. I cannot find a file
on Word. I'm uneasy about both. Outlook does not fully
work and does not allow me to send new messages.

You can imagine my feelings for Microsoft ... Dave
From: Daddy on
On 6/29/2010 11:22 PM, Dave WB3DWE wrote:
> Have Dell precision workstation 390, about 3 years old.
> Running XP Prof sp 3 . Using Office 2003 supplied by Dell.
>
> On Jun 26 I came across an offer from Microsoft : free trial
> of Office Prof 2010. Downloaded and installed it.
>
> Could not get it working as I hoped. Tried to open my
> 2003 Word to complete a project due within 24 hours.
>
> Message came up
> Installation Error : File not Found
> A required installation file SKU113.CAB could not be found
> Original Installation Source Required.
>
> To my horror 2003 Excel gave same message.
> Even Outlook is affected.
>
> Uninstalled Office 2010 and rebooted : problem persists
> with Word, Excel and Outlook.
>
> Sent email to Microsoft Office 2010 online Store, who
> provided the software. They assured me it did not overwrite
> anything. Tried to contact MS support : they want $ 89 per
> hour for help. Finally today reached the Online Store by
> phone. The operator said he was not technically trained and
> could not help. Transfered me to MS tech support. Explained
> whole problem. They would only help if I paid for it : to
> undo what their software had done to my system. Only other
> option they gave was to contact Dell. This system was sold
> three years ago and Dell had nothing to do with it.
>
> I can now get Word& Excel up by repeatedly clicking
> on the error messages, but what a pain. I cannot find a file
> on Word. I'm uneasy about both. Outlook does not fully
> work and does not allow me to send new messages.
>
> You can imagine my feelings for Microsoft ... Dave

Just uninstall and re-install (clean install) Office. You would have
been better off doing that in the first place. That's how I 'upgraded'
from Office 2002 to Office 2007, and then to Office 2010.

Although it's true that upgrading is supported, any upgrade that
extensive is more likely to succeed with a clean install. Clean
installing O'2010 took about 40 minutes, and that included some basic
tinkering with the default setup options. (IIRC, upgrading to O'2007
took about the same time.) You just have to remember to backup your
Outlook data file(s).

You didn't provide much information to help diagnose your original
problem. Did you Google the error message? (Personally, I wouldn't
bother because uninstall/clean install is quick and painless.)
--
Daddy
From: Ben Myers on
On 6/29/2010 11:22 PM, Dave WB3DWE wrote:
> Have Dell precision workstation 390, about 3 years old.
> Running XP Prof sp 3 . Using Office 2003 supplied by Dell.
>
> On Jun 26 I came across an offer from Microsoft : free trial
> of Office Prof 2010. Downloaded and installed it.
>
> Could not get it working as I hoped. Tried to open my
> 2003 Word to complete a project due within 24 hours.
>
> Message came up
> Installation Error : File not Found
> A required installation file SKU113.CAB could not be found
> Original Installation Source Required.
>
> To my horror 2003 Excel gave same message.
> Even Outlook is affected.
>
> Uninstalled Office 2010 and rebooted : problem persists
> with Word, Excel and Outlook.
>
> Sent email to Microsoft Office 2010 online Store, who
> provided the software. They assured me it did not overwrite
> anything. Tried to contact MS support : they want $ 89 per
> hour for help. Finally today reached the Online Store by
> phone. The operator said he was not technically trained and
> could not help. Transfered me to MS tech support. Explained
> whole problem. They would only help if I paid for it : to
> undo what their software had done to my system. Only other
> option they gave was to contact Dell. This system was sold
> three years ago and Dell had nothing to do with it.
>
> I can now get Word& Excel up by repeatedly clicking
> on the error messages, but what a pain. I cannot find a file
> on Word. I'm uneasy about both. Outlook does not fully
> work and does not allow me to send new messages.
>
> You can imagine my feelings for Microsoft ... Dave

There is always Open Office 3.2. Seriously! ... Ben Myers
From: BillW50 on
Ben Myers wrote:
>> You can imagine my feelings for Microsoft ... Dave

Seriously Dave, you should never have more than one version of MS Office
installed per OS. If you need more, then you need multiple computers, or
dual boot, or virtual machines, or something else.

> There is always Open Office 3.2. Seriously! ... Ben Myers

Seriously Ben, Open Office is so lame! For starters, it only has two
views. How limiting is that? And I use title case all of the time and
Open Office doesn't even have this most basic feature. And Open Office
really isn't compatible with MS Office documents either. I really don't
see the excitement with Open Office when it can't even get the most
basic tasks right. Unfortunately on my Linux machines, I'm stuck using
lame Open Office on them since MS Office doesn't run under Linux.

--
Bill
2 Asus EEE PC 7014G ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

Don't install more than one version of Office at a time. Any two
versions of Office will interact to some degree.

Don't install strange new software on any computer that you depend
upon. :-)

Un-and-reinstalling Office 2003 should fix the problem. Just be sure
you've uninstalled *all* of Office 2010 first. Oh, and reboot after
you have.

William