From: Ben Myers on
On 6/30/2010 11:17 AM, Christopher Muto wrote:
> Daddy wrote:
>> On 6/30/2010 10:36 AM, Christopher Muto wrote:
>>> you could try windows xp system restore
>>> (start-programs-acessories-systemtools-systemrestore) to bring your
>>> system back to a point in time before you installed the office 2010
>>> trial.
>>
>> No offense intended, but this is a serious error. Restoring to an
>> earlier restore point will not "bring your system back to a point in
>> time before you installed the office". This can only be achieved by
>> restoring a disc image backup created prior to installing Office, but
>> that would revert the /entire disc/ back to that point in time.
>>
>> Restoring to an earlier restore point in this situation will not
>> remove the Office trial, and is likely to leave the computer with a
>> potentially unstable mix of old and new system files.
>
> i don't think that it is an incorrect statement, but i do see how you
> can interpret it that way. let me be more specific: system restore will
> likely solve the users problem. using it will not remove the office 2010
> installation from the users hard disk but will restore the registry to a
> version that does not have any references to the installation of the
> office 2010 installation. hope that helps.

Given the imperfection of most vendor's uninstall routines (including
Micro$oft's), I would uninstall Office 2010 with Revo Uninstaller, clean
up the registry with CCleaner, then reinstall the earlier version of
Office... Ben Myers
From: BillW50 on
Daddy wrote on Wed, 30 Jun 2010 10:54:43 -0400:
> On 6/30/2010 10:36 AM, Christopher Muto wrote:
>> you could try windows xp system restore
>> (start-programs-acessories-systemtools-systemrestore) to bring your
>> system back to a point in time before you installed the office 2010
>> trial.
>
> No offense intended, but this is a serious error. Restoring to an
> earlier restore point will not "bring your system back to a point in
> time before you installed the office". This can only be achieved by
> restoring a disc image backup created prior to installing Office, but
> that would revert the /entire disc/ back to that point in time.
>
> Restoring to an earlier restore point in this situation will not remove
> the Office trial, and is likely to leave the computer with a potentially
> unstable mix of old and new system files.

I dunno... System Restore works for me about 95% of the time. As System
Restore is supposed to be able to undo application installs, registry
changes and modifications to the OS.

I have to admit though about 5% of the time it doesn't do what it is
suppose to do and can make things much worse. So I normally leave it
turned off and just rely on my many backup copies. Everybody keeps
backups, right? ;-)

--
Bill
2 Asus EEE PC 7014G ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
From: BillW50 on
William R. Walsh wrote on Wed, 30 Jun 2010 06:34:12 -0700 (PDT):
> Hi!
>
>> Open Office is so lame! For starters, it only has two
>> views. How limiting is that?
>
> I'm administering OpenOffice in a corporate environment, across
> differing platforms and approximately 30 workstations. And so far,
> it's been very little trouble...two views? Which ones are missing in
> OOo as compared to Office?

This Open Office Writer 2.4 I have right here for example only has Print
and Web views and that is all.

MS Word 2000 I have right here has Web, Print, Normal, and Outline
layouts. I like the normal one the best and Open Office doesn't even
have that one.

> Don't know about "title case". If this is formatting, it shouldn't be
> too hard to create a predefined format for this. (Disclaimer: haven't
> tried it!)

All decent word processors have Title Case, even the old DOS version of
WordStar has it. I use it all of the time for music and web clippings
for the file name. Why Open Office thinks you don't need it, I have no
idea. PIA to retype everything in Open Office.

I also use a lot of macros under Word. I have no idea what it is like
converting them all to Open Office or if it can be done at all. That
might be a nightmare as well.

>> And Open Office really isn't compatible with MS Office documents either.
>
> That would be news to me and quite a few other people, actually. To
> date, and in that corporate environment, exactly *one* Word 2007
> document failed to open. And in the interest of being fair, said
> document was a bunch of cut and pasted photos with some
> rather...unique...formatting.

People normally don't have a problem with simple documents. It is the
more complex ones people are having a problem with.

Say, in a corporate environment... wouldn't they benefit more from the
extras found in Star Office?

> When put under pressure for "deep" number crunching tasks, the OOo
> spreadsheet didn't go quite far enough in its feature set. However,
> there's a very good chance that it will at some point since it's open
> source software that anyone could work on.

Oh? I heard that the spreadsheet part was pretty good. I guess it
depends what features you use I suppose.

>> Unfortunately on my Linux machines, I'm stuck using lame Open
>> Office on them since MS Office doesn't run under Linux.
>
> If you want MS Office on Linux, look at WINE to provide a suitable
> operating environment. I've heard that the Office programs run pretty
> well.

That true and WINE is supposed to be perfect for running MS Office. But
I dunno, isn't it just easier just to run Windows? As I can do far more
under Windows than I could ever do under Linux anyway.

From: Daddy on
On 6/30/2010 12:43 PM, BillW50 wrote:
"As System Restore is supposed to be able to undo application installs..."

Wrong. (Not that it will matter to you...)

--
Daddy
From: BillW50 on
Daddy wrote on Wed, 30 Jun 2010 13:35:30 -0400:
> On 6/30/2010 12:43 PM, BillW50 wrote:
> "As System Restore is supposed to be able to undo application installs..."
>
> Wrong. (Not that it will matter to you...)

After you use System Restore to an earlier time before an application
was installed, Windows will have no memory of it of having been
installed. And they most likely won't even run anymore. Not that it will
actually matter to you!

Understanding what System Restore does and doesn�t do

If you use a Restore Point from two weeks ago, then any programs
installed since then might not work. Programs often alter Windows'
settings as a way of introducing themselves to your computer. When
Windows "wakes up" with settings from two weeks ago, it won�t remember
that those programs have been installed. You�ll probably have to
reinstall them.

http://www.andyrathbone.com/2009/08/24/fixing-your-pc-with-system-restore/