From: data_entry on
I have a worksheet where I track what I've applied the number to; i.e. acct #
in column A and user type in column E (nanny, sitter). I'd like to use a
function to calculate how many rows are classified as "nanny" or "sitter".

The outcome I'm looking for is the same as if I go Ctrl+F, "Nanny", Find All
which gives me 66 right now. But rather than having to do this manually, I'd
like a running total.

The data is in rows 2 to 133, columns A to E, but I only need column E to
calculate.

I can provide more info if needed, I just don't know how to find what I'm
looking for. Thanks for any help!
From: RagDyer on
You haven't made it clear as to whether or not the data in Column E will
contain *only* the text "nanny" or "sitter", or include other data.

Say you assign, say F1, to contain the term you're looking to count.
So, if you type
nanny
in F1, and that's the only data that's in Column E, then use this formula:

=Countif(E2:E133,F1)

However, if Column E contains other data in addition to the word you're
looking for, use this formula instead:

=Countif(E2:E133,"*"&F1&"*")

Now, just change F1 to the word you're looking to count.
--
HTH,

RD