From: ragtag99 on

To bj7lewis

Thanks, that was a lot of good information, albeit I still have to look
a bit on NTFS beings that is the file system i prefer but thanks for
the help with all the internal workings :)

From: ragtag99 on

Phil Carmody wrote:
> "ragtag99" <spamtrap(a)crayne.org> writes:
> > I posted this on comp.lang.asm.x86, alt.os.development, comp.arch,
> > comp.lang.c++
> >
> > Im working with windows xp professional, NTFS and programming with
> > MASM, c++ (free compiler) or visual basic 6.0
> >
> > === question 1
> >
> > Primarily Im trying to design a program that has full control over a
> > hard disk. What it needs to do is find out what sectors haven't been
> > written to and be able to write anything there, but doesn't count
> > towards disk space, IOW the data is user defined garbage with no
> > consequense if overwritten.
>
> So there's no consequence if it's not written at all.
> Your solution is therefore to simply not do this.

If that were the case I wouldn't have asked. Not to mention academic
pursuits, in many cases, have no practical application. But thanks for
taking the time to respond.

From: red floyd on
ragtag99 wrote:
> To bj7lewis
>
> Thanks, that was a lot of good information, albeit I still have to look
> a bit on NTFS beings that is the file system i prefer but thanks for
> the help with all the internal workings :)

Take if off of Comp.lang.c++

followups set.

From: bj7lewis on
> a bit on NTFS beings that is the file system i prefer but thanks for
> the help with all the internal workings :)
By all means but NTFS and FAT is like apples and oranges they have
differences but are still fruits... NTFS is designed for security and FAT no
security... But at the "fruit" level they are basic the same NTFS is newer
than FAT32 and supports TB Drives but that is just a matter of ##K cluter
size... So if you start your design in FAT## and move your way to NTFS later
all you really need to learn is Master Record Table (MRT) thingy and NTFS
security but the cluster chains and the way files are allocated should be
the same...

> a bit on NTFS beings that is the file system i prefer but thanks for
> the help with all the internal workings :)
Also why is it prefer FAT32 is not dead is it?...

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Niels_J=F8rgen_Kruse?= on
ragtag99 <spamtrap(a)crayne.org> wrote:

> To bj7lewis
>
> Thanks, that was a lot of good information, albeit I still have to look
> a bit on NTFS beings that is the file system i prefer but thanks for
> the help with all the internal workings :)

You seem to want to prevent recovery of deleted files. Have you checked
that this is not a feature of Vista (or XP - I haven't checked)?

MacOS X has had secure deletion of the trash or unused part of the disk
with your choice of paranoia level for some time now.

There is still the problem of used blocks that may have ghosts of older
data, of course.

--
Mvh./Regards, Niels J?rgen Kruse, Vanl?se, Denmark