From: Jon Forrest on
Today I read that we're going to get quad-core processors
in 2007, and 80-core processors in 5 years. This has
got me to wondering where the point of diminishing returns
is for processor cores.

We've all seen those bench marks in which the same test is
run on a system with 128MB of RAM, then 256MB, then 512MB, ...
What usually happens is the the first increase results in
a big improvement, the next increase in a smaller improvement,
and so on. At some point, the size of the improvement doesn't
justify its cost.

I suspect we'd see the same kind of results if we could
increase the number of processor cores. The big difference
here is that additional processor cores only help if there's
work for them to do. Modern operating systems use multiple
processes and threads but I wonder how many processes/threads
are runnable at any one time in a general purpose computer
running general purpose jobs.

Where do you think the point of diminishing returns might
be?

Jon Forrest
From: Casper H.S. Dik on
Jon Forrest <forrest(a)ce.berkeley.edu> writes:

>Today I read that we're going to get quad-core processors
>in 2007, and 80-core processors in 5 years. This has
>got me to wondering where the point of diminishing returns
>is for processor cores.

Sun has been shipping 8 core CPUs since, I think, late last year.

It all depends on the bandwidth. (Which means it ain't a pretty
picture for Intel as long as they keep the FSB)

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.
From: Joe Seigh on
Jon Forrest wrote:
> Today I read that we're going to get quad-core processors
> in 2007, and 80-core processors in 5 years. This has
> got me to wondering where the point of diminishing returns
> is for processor cores.
>
> We've all seen those bench marks in which the same test is
> run on a system with 128MB of RAM, then 256MB, then 512MB, ...
> What usually happens is the the first increase results in
> a big improvement, the next increase in a smaller improvement,
> and so on. At some point, the size of the improvement doesn't
> justify its cost.

That's called scalability.

> I suspect we'd see the same kind of results if we could
> increase the number of processor cores. The big difference
> here is that additional processor cores only help if there's
> work for them to do. Modern operating systems use multiple
> processes and threads but I wonder how many processes/threads
> are runnable at any one time in a general purpose computer
> running general purpose jobs.
>
> Where do you think the point of diminishing returns might
> be?

It all depends. The industry has a real chicken and egg problem.
Applications won't start adapting to the new architecture for a
while yet. And what the new architecture will actually end up
being isn't real clear. It could be shared memory, NUMA or otherwise.
It could be based on message passing. Or something else entirely.

--
Joe Seigh

When you get lemons, you make lemonade.
From: Elcaro Nosille on
> Sun has been shipping 8 core CPUs since, I think, late last year.

Yes, but on server-systems you've got an appropriate workload.
From: Dennis M. O'Connor on
"Jon Forrest" <forrest(a)ce.berkeley.edu> wrote ...
> Today I read that we're going to get quad-core processors
> in 2007, and 80-core processors in 5 years. This has
> got me to wondering where the point of diminishing returns
> is for processor cores.

It depends on your application. Examples: A web server
like Apache can effectively use a lot more cores than
an old DOS game. But future games on the PC may be
able to effectively exploit every core you can provide them.
--
Dennis M. O'Connor dmoc(a)primenet.com