From: Jon Forrest on
Dennis M. O'Connor wrote:
> "Jon Forrest" <forrest(a)ce.berkeley.edu> wrote ...
>> Today I read that we're going to get quad-core processors
>> in 2007, and 80-core processors in 5 years. This has
>> got me to wondering where the point of diminishing returns
>> is for processor cores.
>
> It depends on your application. Examples: A web server
> like Apache can effectively use a lot more cores than
> an old DOS game. But future games on the PC may be
> able to effectively exploit every core you can provide them.

No doubt, but I'm talking about general purpose computing.

I bet there is diminishing return curve for web servers
too. The curve would look different at each site, but
it would exist.

Jon
From: Rick Jones on
Casper H.S. Dik <Casper.Dik(a)sun.com> wrote:
> It all depends on the bandwidth. (Which means it ain't a pretty
> picture for Intel as long as they keep the FSB)

Is it really just a question of bandwidth? I would have thought that
application (I'm assuming the system vendors deal with the OSes)
behaviour would be equally important.

How different is having an FSB for a single socket with N cores on the
chip than having a "link" for a single-socket with N cores on the
chip?

I would think that as the cores per chip increase, the issues that the
folks selling large SMP's deal with will become known to the
single-socket crowd.

rick jones
From: Rick Jones on
Jon Forrest <forrest(a)ce.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> I bet there is diminishing return curve for web servers too. The
> curve would look different at each site, but it would exist.

Yes - particularly if the web server was constrained to a single NIC -
albeit some NICs out there now can spread their interrupt load across
cores.

Increasing core counts won't do all that much for individual TCP
connections - getting very much parallelism in a single connection
isn't really possible.

rick jones
From: Terje Mathisen on
Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
> Jon Forrest <forrest(a)ce.berkeley.edu> writes:
>
>> Today I read that we're going to get quad-core processors
>> in 2007, and 80-core processors in 5 years. This has
>> got me to wondering where the point of diminishing returns
>> is for processor cores.
>
> Sun has been shipping 8 core CPUs since, I think, late last year.
>
> It all depends on the bandwidth. (Which means it ain't a pretty
> picture for Intel as long as they keep the FSB)

That 80-core Intel demo chip has a vertically mounted SRAM chip as well,
providing 20 MB (afair) directly to each code.

For any problem where those 20 MB * 80 = 1.6 GB of SRAM can hold
everything in a nicely distributed manner, you're going to see _very_
impressive performance indeed, particularly since they also have a
(presumably very fast) mesh network connecting the individual cores.

Intel's press releases talks about aggregate bandwidth in the TB/s range
for this 80-core chip, from which we can calculate that each core must
have at least 12.5 GB/s.

Since the SRAM is directly attached, a 256-bit interface seems very
reasonable, in which case the SRAM can idle along at about 400 Mhz.

Alternatively, a somewhat narrower interface running at higher frequency
would give the same result.

Seems reasonable to me!

And yes, I'd like to have one and see what I could do with it. :-)

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen(a)hda.hydro.com>
From: Dennis M. O'Connor on
"Jon Forrest" <forrest(a)ce.berkeley.edu> wrote i...
> Dennis M. O'Connor wrote:
>> "Jon Forrest" <forrest(a)ce.berkeley.edu> wrote ...
>>> Today I read that we're going to get quad-core processors
>>> in 2007, and 80-core processors in 5 years. This has
>>> got me to wondering where the point of diminishing returns
>>> is for processor cores.
>>
>> It depends on your application. Examples: A web server
>> like Apache can effectively use a lot more cores than
>> an old DOS game. But future games on the PC may be
>> able to effectively exploit every core you can provide them.
>
> No doubt, but I'm talking about general purpose computing.

What's this "general purpose computing" you speak of ?
Is it Spider Solitaire ? MS Office ? Gnu CC ? Web browsing ?
Or is it protein folding ?
--
Dennis M. O'Connor dmoc(a)primenet.com