From: Joe Seigh on
Joe Seigh wrote:
> Chris Thomasson wrote:
>
>> "Joe Seigh" <jseigh_01(a)xemaps.com> wrote in message
>> news:us2dnfMMPJUnGYHYnZ2dnUVZ_sWdnZ2d(a)comcast.com...>>I don't know. I
>> haven't event seen McKenney file any hardware patents in
>>
>>> that area and he would have been the likely one to do that kind of
>>> stuff.
>>

>> No kidding; he already has tons of RCU patents... In one of his
>> bibliography pages he even has links to your initial RCU+SMR hybrid
>> idea. I wonder when we are going to see patents for it...
>>

> Soon enough. The patent application is
>
> 20060265373 Hybrid multi-threaded access to data structures using hazard
> pointers for reads and locks for updates
>
> by Paul McKenney and Maged Michael.

Sorry. Never mind. The patent appears to be about something else. The
fact that McKenney and Michael worked on it led me into believing it had
something to do with RCU and SMR. I think it's just a PDR technique
involving hazard pointers. Patents are just too damned hard to read.

--
Joe Seigh

When you get lemons, you make lemonade.
From: Jan Vorbrüggen on
>> No kidding; he already has tons of RCU patents... In one of his
>> bibliography pages he even has links to your initial RCU+SMR hybrid
>> idea. I wonder when we are going to see patents for it...
>>

> Soon enough. The patent application is
>
> 20060265373 Hybrid multi-threaded access to data structures using hazard
> pointers for reads and locks for updates
>
> by Paul McKenney and Maged Michael.

So are you going to inform the USPTO examiner of that prior art cited by the
inventor himself?

Jan
From: Joe Seigh on
Jan Vorbr�ggen wrote:
>>> No kidding; he already has tons of RCU patents... In one of his
>>> bibliography pages he even has links to your initial RCU+SMR hybrid
>>> idea. I wonder when we are going to see patents for it...
>>>

>> Soon enough. The patent application is
>>
>> 20060265373 Hybrid multi-threaded access to data structures using
>> hazard pointers for reads and locks for updates
>>
>> by Paul McKenney and Maged Michael.
>

> So are you going to inform the USPTO examiner of that prior art cited by
> the inventor himself?

It's moot as this patent is about something else than what I thought
it was. Patents are damned hard to read.