From: Bill Todd on
Tommy Thorn wrote:
> Bill Todd wrote:
>> Well, since IIRC the processing cores are running at a princely 1.91 MHz
>
> Well, you recall incorrectly. It's 3 GHz, cf.
> http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/27/idf_fall_2006/page2.html

You really need to work on your reading comprehension: there is nothing
on the page that you cite above that remotely suggests that the
prototype runs at 3 GHz (the only mention of that clock rate is in
reference to a current P4's FP performance).

The reference that gives the 1.91 MHz figure is

- bill
From: Bill Todd on
Joe Seigh wrote:
> Nick Maclaren wrote:
>> communication! I.e. |> > I believe that you really don't have any
>> choice here, except to make |> > most of your cores interruptible.
>> have it
>>
>> Not really. Let's assume that you do have such an infinite number of
>> threads, and thread A wants to prod thread B at a time it is doing
>> something
>> else. That can't be done without some form of asynchronicity.
>
> Why would B be doing something else if you have an infinite number of
> threads
> on hand to do that something else?

Because the 'something else' that Thread B is doing is the reason that
Thread A needs to communicate with it.

Duh.

It is of course possible to program all threads such that they
frequently poll some shared (and appropriately interlocked) portion of
RAM to see whether anyone has left a message there for them, but that's
equally possible with today's SMPs and doesn't seem to be the mechanism
of choice a lot of the time.

- bill
From: Chris Thomasson on
"Joe Seigh" <jseigh_01(a)xemaps.com> wrote in message
> Terje Mathisen wrote:
>> Joe Seigh wrote:
>>
>>> Terje Mathisen wrote:

> Maybe. There's things like bus snooping which doesn't contribute to
> memory usage. It doesn't matter. The IPC mechanism might end up looking
> totally different than anything we know today. The processors
> manufacturers
> will have to solve it by the time they get up 100's of cores.

Why not PDR on the hardware:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.programming.threads/msg/6236a9029d80527a

I mentioned this idea of mine to Andy Glew:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.arch/msg/2a0f4163f8e13f1e

I have not received any sort of response... Andy, are you there?

;)

Any thoughts' on my PDR w/ hardware assist design? My idea can scale to any
number of processors. Lock-free reader patterns can scale. Period.

From: Joe Seigh on
Chris Thomasson wrote:
> "Joe Seigh" <jseigh_01(a)xemaps.com> wrote in message
>
>>Terje Mathisen wrote:

>>Maybe. There's things like bus snooping which doesn't contribute to
>>memory usage. It doesn't matter. The IPC mechanism might end up looking
>>totally different than anything we know today. The processors
>>manufacturers
>>will have to solve it by the time they get up 100's of cores.
>

> Why not PDR on the hardware:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.programming.threads/msg/6236a9029d80527a
>
> I mentioned this idea of mine to Andy Glew:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.arch/msg/2a0f4163f8e13f1e
>
> I have not received any sort of response... Andy, are you there?
>
> ;)
>

> Any thoughts' on my PDR w/ hardware assist design? My idea can scale to any
> number of processors. Lock-free reader patterns can scale. Period.

I don't know. I haven't event seen McKenney file any hardware patents in
that area and he would have been the likely one to do that kind of stuff.

The IPC would be more than just PDR. The whole memory model could change
and they go to something like Occam style message passing. Because I don't
think the current strongly coherent cache scheme will scale up.
Of course that PDR supports a more relaxed cache/memory model doesn't hurt
things.

--
Joe Seigh

When you get lemons, you make lemonade.
From: Nick Maclaren on

In article <451c19e0$1(a)darkstar>, eugene(a)cse.ucsc.edu (Eugene Miya) writes:

|> >When are we going to see them, then?
|>
|> We? "What do you mean 'we?' white man?" --Tonto
|> I've seen them. I'm under an NDA.

Well, actually, many people have. The ICL DAP (and, I believe, the BBN
Butterfly) could well be classified as prototypes. The issue is when
(and if!) they will be available openly enough and cheaply enough for
a wide range of people to experiment with. And 20+ years from being
the next great thing to mere NDA isn't exactly rapid progress ....

|> >Seriously, they have been talked about as imminent for 20 years, so
|> >either there is a major problem or the IT industry is suffering a
|> >collective failure of nerve. Or both.
|>
|> You have to locate the knowledgeable in your country.

Eh? Delivery is as delivery does. Damn the claims - let's see the
products.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.