From: FredK on

"David Wade" <g8mqw(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Eric P." <eric_pattison(a)sympaticoREMOVE.ca> wrote in message
> > prep(a)prep.synonet.com wrote:
> > >
> > > VMS has all of the above.
> > >
> > > Welcome to 1978.
> >
> > Yeah, its just that some aspects of WNT make me
> > pine for the fjords of VMS.
> >

> At the risk of getting black balled from this group, I would like to say
> that I have never looked back to VMS with any thing other than a
wonderment
> on how clunky and user unfriendly it was.

Nah. I'd say while there are a few old-timers here with fond VMS memories,
very few have even seen a VMS system in a decade.

> That ruddy "C" compiler (sorry I don't know which) that couldn't read and
> write "normal" VMS files but only special stream (?) files.All those file
> version numbers that ate up disk space. That editor that was fine on a
local
> terminal, but which brought any network (that existed at that time) to
its
> knees through trying to echo every chacter remotley.. The Vax 11/750 that
> seemed woe fully underpowered and which suffered from dreadfull "type
> behind" when you got a few users on it... The Fortran compiler with all
its
> special VAX extensions, and lastly, and probably, worst of all, those
> blasted file device strings littered with special characters..... what on
> earth is "sys$system[my.fortran.files]fred.f77;66" about....

Not quite sure what characters here are "special". The *practice* of NNN$
or XXX_ prefix in file names, variable names, and logical names was to
provide a more-or-less standard way to avoid namespace collisions. So, the
DEC-reserved SYS$ prefix would never collide with a user name.

From: Terje Mathisen on
Charlie Gibbs wrote:
> I had that happen when I built my IMSAI. The CPU chip that came
> with the kit was defective. (But only slightly - conditional return
> instructions were all unconditional, but aside from that it worked
> fine.)

I bet there's a long and interesting story behind how you figured out
exactly _how_ it was failing. :-)

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen(a)hda.hydro.com>
From: Peter Flass on
Peter Flass wrote:
> I loved the VAX architecture. CICS may be out of fashion today, but
^^^^^
Oops, typo, or maybe freudian slip. Make that CISC.

From: Gene Wirchenko on
"FredK" <fred.nospam(a)nospam.dec.com> wrote:

[snip]

>Nah. I'd say while there are a few old-timers here with fond VMS memories,
>very few have even seen a VMS system in a decade.

I used one in 2002. I understand that the hardware was emulated.

[snip]

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:
I have preferences.
You have biases.
He/She has prejudices.
From: on
In article <452a5c02$1(a)usenet01.boi.hp.com>,
FredK <fred.nospam(a)nospam.dec.com> wrote:

snip--

>I'd say while there are a few old-timers here with fond VMS memories,

i have many VMS memories, some fond

>very few have even seen a VMS system in a decade.

o, not so uncommon... for example...

$ sho cluster
View of Cluster from system ID 6328 node: PHYAS1 9-OCT-2006 19:13:28
lqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqwqqqqqqqqqk
x SYSTEMS x MEMBERS x
tqqqqqqqqwqqqqqqqqqqqqqqnqqqqqqqqqu
x NODE x SOFTWARE x STATUS x