From: Gary on
John Pollard write:
-I have no problem seeing reinvested dividend income ( ("_DivInc") in
-theQ2009 RPM R7 Income & Expense by Category report.
-
-You do realize that the Income & Expense reports default to excluding
-investment accounts, right?
-
-I think that Q2009 had some problems with certain investment income
-categories in some reports, and the Itemized Categories report may be one
-of those. I do see reinvested dividend income in the Q2010 RPM R8
-Itemized Categories report.

John Pollard:

Every time I try to venture into a new area in Quicken I seem to make
horrendous mistakes and you seem to bail me out. Thanks for your
comments! Clearly I have to customize my reports much more carefully
(and avoid Itemized Categories until I convert to Q2010). But I'd like
to pursue what I'm trying to accomplish a bit further.

What I'm looking for is a way to state my Net Worth, and associated
with each component of that Net Worth some indication of what income it
is generating. As a retiree of over 20 years, my fixed rate pension is
starting to squeeze me, especially with the increased cost of medical
and medical insurance. So I'm looking to increase income and am hoping
one or several Quicken can tell me how well I am doing at that task
(and what to look to change). At the moment it looks like running a
Net Worth report and the I&E by Category (carefully customized) is the
way to go. Since you know so much more about the darker crevaces of
Quicken, can you suggest if there is something that can help me
accomplish my goal if I look elsewhere in the program?

From: John Pollard on
Gary wrote:
> John Pollard write:
> -I have no problem seeing reinvested dividend income ( ("_DivInc") in
> -theQ2009 RPM R7 Income & Expense by Category report.
> -
> -You do realize that the Income & Expense reports default to excluding
> -investment accounts, right?
> -
> -I think that Q2009 had some problems with certain investment income
> -categories in some reports, and the Itemized Categories report may
> be one -of those. I do see reinvested dividend income in the Q2010 RPM
> R8
> -Itemized Categories report.

> Every time I try to venture into a new area in Quicken I seem to make
> horrendous mistakes and you seem to bail me out. Thanks for your
> comments! Clearly I have to customize my reports much more carefully
> (and avoid Itemized Categories until I convert to Q2010).

You can probably get pretty much the same info as the Itemized Categories
report using the Banking > Transaction report, subtotalled by category. I
do see "_DivInc" transactions for reinvestments in the Q2009 Banking >
Transaction report. [Also available in the Investment Transactions
report.]

> But I'd
> like to pursue what I'm trying to accomplish a bit further.
>
> What I'm looking for is a way to state my Net Worth, and associated
> with each component of that Net Worth some indication of what income
> it is generating. As a retiree of over 20 years, my fixed rate
> pension is starting to squeeze me, especially with the increased cost
> of medical and medical insurance. So I'm looking to increase income and
> am
> hoping one or several Quicken can tell me how well I am doing at that
> task (and what to look to change). At the moment it looks like
> running a Net Worth report and the I&E by Category (carefully
> customized) is the
> way to go. Since you know so much more about the darker crevaces of
> Quicken, can you suggest if there is something that can help me
> accomplish my goal if I look elsewhere in the program?

I think there are probably several others here who can give you much
better advice in this area than I.

But if you are interested in the performance of your investments, you
could take a look at the Investing > Investment Income and Investing >
Investment Performance reports. Both reports can be subtotalled by
Account or Security. Also, the Portfolio tab offers a myriad of
characteristics about securities that might shed some light.

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help