From: Poster Matt on
Poster Matt wrote:
> Don't bother pointing me in the direction of another tutorial, I'll
> retry the one I used before with a renamed config.h file.

PS. Unless anyone knows of a really really good tutorial. :)
From: Andrew Poelstra on
On 2010-04-07, Poster Matt <postermatt(a)no_spam_for_me.org> wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a really good tutorial for using autoconf and automake?
>
> I found several, but only one (linked below) made a good effort at explaining
> what each stage was doing and, having worked my way through it, ultimately it
> failed and the tutorial did not help me resolve them nor was I able to work out
> what I needed to do to resolve the errors I was getting.
>
> http://mij.oltrelinux.com/devel/autoconf-automake/
>
> Here's hoping you guys can point me in the right direction.
>
> Thanks all.

This might not be helpful, but esr just posted a rant about
autotools last week: http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=1877

The comments in the article suggest using scons instead.
I've taken a quick look through it's documentation, and
it looks a lot easier (and saner) than autotools.

In any case, good luck!

--
Andrew Poelstra
http://www.wpsoftware.net/andrew
From: Poster Matt on
Ralph Böhme wrote:
> Poster Matt <postermatt(a)no_spam_for_me.org> schrieb:
>> Ralph Böhme wrote:
>>> <http://sourceware.org/autobook/autobook/autobook_toc.html#SEC_Contents>
>>> <http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/html_node/index.html>
>>> <http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/index.html>
>
>> Thanks, though I was looking for a tutorial rather than the documentation, I
>> need help with the process.
>
>> I noticed on this page:
>
>> http://www.seul.org/docs/autotut/
>
>> in 'Figure 1 - File Input/Output Graph' that a config.h is generated. My C
>> source code actually has a config.h file - will this conflict with the GNU
>> 'Auto' generation process? Should I rename my config.h file?
>
> Short answer: for the sake of learning autotools, yes, rename it.
>
> Cheers, Ralph

Umm (small?) problem...

I've been following this tutorial:

http://mij.oltrelinux.com/devel/autoconf-automake/

I'm at step 7. So I've edited 'configure.ac' and added:

AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(testrun, 1.0)
AC_OUTPUT(Makefile src/Makefile)

Then run 'aclocal' and then: 'automake --add-missing' which generates an error:

"configure.ac:8: required file `config.h.in' not found"

Running 'automake' alone with '--add-missing' removed generates the same error.

Can't seem to get possible answers to this with google. BTW I did change the
name of my source code files config.c and config.h to configfile.c and configfile.h.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
From: Ralph Böhme on
Poster Matt <postermatt(a)no_spam_for_me.org> schrieb:
> Ralph Böhme wrote:
>> Poster Matt <postermatt(a)no_spam_for_me.org> schrieb:
>>
>>> Thanks, though I was looking for a tutorial rather than the documentation, I
>>> need help with the process.
>>
>>> I noticed on this page:
>>
>>> http://www.seul.org/docs/autotut/
>>
>>> in 'Figure 1 - File Input/Output Graph' that a config.h is generated. My C
>>> source code actually has a config.h file - will this conflict with the GNU
>>> 'Auto' generation process? Should I rename my config.h file?
>>
>> Short answer: for the sake of learning autotools, yes, rename it.
>>
>> Cheers, Ralph

> Umm (small?) problem...

> I've been following this tutorial:

> http://mij.oltrelinux.com/devel/autoconf-automake/

> I'm at step 7. So I've edited 'configure.ac' and added:

> AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(testrun, 1.0)
> AC_OUTPUT(Makefile src/Makefile)

> Then run 'aclocal' and then: 'automake --add-missing' which generates an error:

> "configure.ac:8: required file `config.h.in' not found"

> Running 'automake' alone with '--add-missing' removed generates the same error.

Try autoreconf -vfi

> Can't seem to get possible answers to this with google. BTW I did change the
> name of my source code files config.c and config.h to configfile.c and configfile.h.

Better take your questions over here:

Cheers, Ralph
From: Poster Matt on
Ralph Böhme wrote:
> Poster Matt <postermatt(a)no_spam_for_me.org> schrieb:
>> Ralph Böhme wrote:
>>> Short answer: for the sake of learning autotools, yes, rename it.
>>>
>>> Cheers, Ralph
>
>> Umm (small?) problem...
>
>> I've been following this tutorial:
>
>> http://mij.oltrelinux.com/devel/autoconf-automake/
>
>> I'm at step 7. So I've edited 'configure.ac' and added:
>
>> AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(testrun, 1.0)
>> AC_OUTPUT(Makefile src/Makefile)
>
>> Then run 'aclocal' and then: 'automake --add-missing' which generates an error:
>
>> "configure.ac:8: required file `config.h.in' not found"
>
>> Running 'automake' alone with '--add-missing' removed generates the same error.
>
> Try autoreconf -vfi
>
>> Can't seem to get possible answers to this with google. BTW I did change the
>> name of my source code files config.c and config.h to configfile.c and configfile.h.
>
> Better take your questions over here:
>
> Cheers, Ralph

Thanks again Ralph.

autoreconf -vfi - worked !! :)

Will move to the mailing list for any further questions.

These auto tools are a newbie nightmare.

Thanks for your help. It's appreciated.