From: Albert on
Win XP Home with SP1, SP2 etc.

About a month ago Control Panel suddenly changed (Probably when I was trying
out one of the countless tweak utlities I don't understand but can't resist
playing with). In the Categories  Network and Intenet Connections view there
are now six icons titled: Internet Options, Network Setup Wizard, Windows
Firewall (off as I have ZoneAlarm), Wireless Network Setup Wizard (not used),
and two identical icons (little blue and green planet earth with one plug and
short cable) that are also both titled exactly the same as Network
Connections.

When I hover the mouse over these two Network Connections icons the pop-up
for one says Configures Network Software and the pop-up for the other says
Connects to other computers, networks and the Internet.

But, if I click on the icons they both seem to open the same window, which
in my case has in it under sub-heading LAN or High-Speed Internet, only the
one entry line: Local Area Connection - LAN or High-Speed Internet -
Connected - SiS 900 Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adaptor.

As far as I can tell the one line is completely correct and all that needs
to be there. Norton Antivirus, Registry Mechanic ordinary and deep scans, and
ntls special broadband doctor programs all say theres nothing wrong, and
emailing, the internet and everything else on my machine seem to be working
all perfectly alright with no problems at all. The shop set up my PC for
Wireless networking for my daughter's laptop to access the internet, but we
don't actually use the facility at all -she does the internet stuff at
college.

Idly surfing the net about a year ago Im sure I saw something on a forum I
cant find again about this apparent duplication of the Network Connections
icon in Control Panel being actually a quite intricate Registry problem
needing much more than a simple delete one of them solution.

Query: Anyone know what the problem is really all about and what the proper
fix is please?

-- :) Albert.