From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.lang.basic.visual.misc message <J7OdnSNYR8340z_WnZ2dnUVZ_tKdnZ2d
@giganews.com>, Thu, 18 Mar 2010 12:01:41, Jim Mack <no-uce-
ube(a)mdxi.com> posted:

>You're running into locale or date format settings issues.
>
>Avoid this entirely by:
>
>Const ChkDate As Date = #3/10/2010#

>If Now > ChkDate Then

>Using the #-/-/--# format for literal dates (which always follow the
>US convention of d/m/y) eliminates those issues.

I am pleased to hear that the US convention is now d/m/y.

To avoid confusion, use #2010-10-03# for 2010 October 3rd - I gather
that US FIPS PUB 4-1 & 4-2 enjoins that order. So does ISO 8601.

From: Jim Mack on
Dr J R Stockton wrote:
> Jim Mack posted:
>>
>> You're running into locale or date format settings issues.
>>
>> Avoid this entirely by:
>>
>> Const ChkDate As Date = #3/10/2010#

>> If Now > ChkDate Then

>> Using the #-/-/--# format for literal dates (which always follow
>> the US convention of d/m/y) eliminates those issues.
>

> I am pleased to hear that the US convention is now d/m/y.

Obviously it is not, I mistyped. The example correctly showed m/d/y,
which is the US standard, and the default for literals.

From: Mike Williams on
On 19 Mar, 16:35, Dr J R Stockton <reply1...(a)merlyn.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

> I am pleased to hear that the US convention is now d/m/y.

It would make more sense if it was, or even if it was y/m/d. The US
convention of m/d/y is neither ascending nor descending as far as
relative magnitude is concerned. If we're going to use silly
arrangements like that then we might as well swap the order of
"tenths" and "hundredths" in numbers, so that the number one and a
quarter becomes 1.52 <g>

Mike

From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.lang.basic.visual.misc message <e2d505d4-8843-465c-862f-
0f840daa0af0(a)g10g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>, Sat, 20 Mar 2010 04:13:29,
Mike Williams <gagamomo(a)yahoo.co.uk> posted:
>On 19 Mar, 16:35, Dr J R Stockton <reply1...(a)merlyn.demon.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>> I am pleased to hear that the US convention is now d/m/y.
>
>It would make more sense if it was, or even if it was y/m/d. The US
>convention of m/d/y is neither ascending nor descending as far as
>relative magnitude is concerned. If we're going to use silly
>arrangements like that then we might as well swap the order of
>"tenths" and "hundredths" in numbers, so that the number one and a
>quarter becomes 1.52 <g>

It would make even more sense of it were yyyy-mm-dd, since that is an
International Standard and combines all possible advantages except those
given by yyyy-Www-d and yyyy-ddd.

But perhaps you recall that Sir Winston Churchill is said to have said
something rather like :- "One can rely on the Americans to do the right
thing - after having exhausted all other possibilities".

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links;
From: Mike Williams on
On 21 Mar, 14:21, Dr J R Stockton <reply1...(a)merlyn.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

> >It would make more sense if it was, or even if it was y/m/d.

> It would make even more sense of it were yyyy-mm-dd,
> since that is an International Standard and . . .

Yep. By the way, when I said "y/m/d" I didn't acually mean that we
should use a forward slash as the separator, or that we should use
just one digit for each of them! I was merely referring to the order
of the different elements :-)

There is of course still one problem with using yyyy-mm-dd and that is
the fact that it could cause a lot of problems when we get to the year
9999 ;-)

Mike